The Best Electric Shower Reviews & Buying Guide
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Walk-In Shower Enclosures Is iBathUK 8.5kW Triton Aspirante Electric Shower
- Five function shower head
- Thermostatic temperature control dial
- Stylish riser rail kit with adjustable fixing brackets
- Low pressure indicator light - operates when the water pressure is insufficient
- Anti-kink chrome hose
Electric showers are a great way to heat water and provide a stable energy-efficient hot shower in comparison to traditional boilers, they heat a cold water supply inside of their internal element, providing you unlimited heated water to shower with.
The best electric showers on the market can even improve your waters pressure and are super easy to install in any kind of bathroom.
So with that being said, we have rounded up the top electric showers on the market and compared them to find the best electric shower for your bathroom.
Our Top Electric Shower! -
The iBathUK 8.5kW Triton Aspirante Electric Shower (Editor’s Choice)
This iBathUK electric shower model comes with an 8.6kW power and a thermostatic temperature control dial for easy setting. Total dimensions of the shower are 9.4 x 19.99 x 30cm.
Feature-wise the electric shower comes with a glossy white finish and a multi-functional shower head that has a reversible left/right water inlet.
There is additionally a low-pressure indicator light on the model and thermostatic regulator to stop fluctuations in temperature while showering.
Further design features of this shower are its anti-kink chrome hose and stylish riser rail kit. The model has a shutdown feature too for extra safety and an easy installation method.
A one-year warranty is included with the shower for buyers confidence.
To conclude, this iBathUK electric shower is one of the best high-quality models on our list with easy to use features such as its low-pressure light indicator and an expensive-looking white gloss finish which makes this shower excellent value for money.
Some negatives of this electric shower are its heat adjustment dial design which is stated to be difficult to turn when your hands are wet.
- Sleek design with a glossy finish.
- Heat settings with low-pressure indicator lights.
- Multifunctional shower head.
- Anti-kink hose.
- One-year warranty.
- Shut down function for improved safety.
- The heat adjustment dial is difficult to turn with wet hands.
Our Second Choice - Mira Showers 1.1788.010 Jump Multi-Fit 8.5 kW Electric Shower
The Mira jump multi-fit electric shower comes with an 8.5kW power rating and uses a 90mm shower head which comes with 4 modes to choose from and rubber nozzles for easier cleaning.
Installation-wise this Mira shower can be universally fitted to nearly any kind of shower due to its 16 different water and cable entry combinations, combined with flexible fittings.
This electric shower further boasts clear scale technology to reduce the build-up of limescale and comes with a 2-year warranty.
If you are looking for a universal fitting shower that can replace your old one easily, then this multi-fit Mira shower is the best option for you.
Not only is the electric shower extremely versatile but is also very affordable and has a great flow rate for a high-pressure shower.
Downfalls of the Mira multi-fit model are its noise which is said to be very noticeable, the shower also said to be a little difficult to install despite being stated to have a universal fitting.
- Multi-fit installation for a variety of showers.
- 4 modes shower head with easy clean nozzles.
- Two-year warranty.
- Does not fit all plumbing types.
Mira Showers 1.1746.006 Sport Thermostatic Electric Shower
The Mira thermostatic electric shower comes with a 9.8kW power and has thermostatic stability for eliminating temperature fluctuations while showering. This design comes in a white/chrome finish.
Main features of this electric shower are it’s opti-flo and sensi-flo technology which prevents scalding from the thermostatic shower and optimises the flow of your shower throughout use. The shower additionally has a clear scale to reduce the effects of lime-scale building up in the showerhead.
This electric shower head measures 110mm in size and has 4 spray options, its also easy to clean due to its rubber nozzles. Design-wise the shower has separate power and heat controls with adjustable slide bars to fit easily where a previous shower has been installed.
Complete measurements of this shower come in at 29 x 10.7 x 4.5cm and it has a two-year warranty included for buyers confidence.
Overall, this thermostatic electric shower by Mira is one of the best electric showers on our list thanks to its easy temperature controls and regulation which stops any scalding coming from the hot shower during use.
The shower itself is made of high-quality anti-limescale material which makes the overall design very long-lasting and durable.
Negatives of this electric shower have to be its temperature change which is reported to be slow, the model further is said to have a leaky handle and is a little on the expensive side.
- High-quality anti-limescale material.
- Temperature regulated.
- Easy controls.
- 4 spray shower head with rubber nozzles.
- Adjustable slide bars for easy installation.
- Two-year warranty.
- Slow temperature change.
- Leaky handle.
Mira Showers 1.1746.008 Sport Max Electric Shower
This Mira electric shower features a white chrome design and comes with a power of 10.8kW. Dimensions of the complete shower set come in at 7.5 x 21.5 x 35.8cm.
Significant specifications of this shower are its sensi-flo technology which reduces the likelihood of temperature fluctuation while showering. The model further has a large 110mm 4 spray shower head for customised water flow.
Design-wise the electric shower has an on/off button for easy control and clear scale technology which reduces limescale building up inside the shower by 50%.
For better water flow, the shower additionally comes with air boost technology to increase water flow by 30% and has an eco setting to save energy too.
The 10.8kW electric shower by Mira is a great option to install in your bathroom if you're looking to have stable heated water with the option of increasing pressure-flow due to this models air boost technology.
This showers chrome white finish is also very high-quality and fits into any kind of bathrooms style.
Downfalls of this shower are its noise which is said to be very loud while showering, especially when you set the model to air boost mode for increased water flow. The shower is also reported to have lower-quality design parts that can crack easily after installation.
- Stylish white chrome design.
- Extra features such as eco mode and air boost technology.
- 4 spray shower head.
- Regulates temperature.
- On/off button for easy control.
- Noisy when showering.
- Parts are said to show cracks after installation.
- Temperature fluctuations are reported.
Bristan BL385 W 8.5 kW Bliss 3 Electric Shower
If you are looking for an affordable and high-quality electric shower then it might be worth considering this model by Bristan.
Main features of this electric shower are its 8.5kW power rating and a digital display which allows you to use its touch buttons to control its three heat settings and on/off power button. The shower further has a warm-up mode and a consistent temperature stabilisation technology.
Other notable specs of this Bristan model are its footprint design which can be easily installed onto previous shower fitting holes. Installation-wise the shower has adjustable riser rail brackets too and a performance indicator which shows when the filter of the shower needs changing.
For easy cleaning and durability, the electric shower has an anti-limescale feature included with the shower too.
The Bristan electric shower is overall a great electric shower to choose if you are looking for a family safe and reliable model on a budget.
This showers digital display has a modern look and makes it very easy to control temperature settings with its touch sensor.
However, negatives of this shower are its temperature fluctuation which is said to differ from scalding to cold while showering, the brand is also reported to have difficulty in issuing replacements for faulty models.
- Affordable with a digital touch screen.
- Easy installation due to footprint.
- Warm-up mode.
- Filter indicator that shows when replacement is needed.
- Temperature is not consistent when showering.
- Difficulty in issuing returns and replacements for the shower.
Our Verdict - Which Electric Shower Is The Best?
To conclude our round-up of the best electric showers, the top model on our list has to be the iBathUK 8.5kW Triton Aspirante Electric Shower due to its reliable and consistent temperature control with a high-quality gloss finish which makes the electric shower great value for money.
The iBathUK model is also excellent due to its light indicators that show the temperature of the water and when your water pressure is low for improved performance.
As a second option, we would also recommend the Mira Showers 1.1788.010 Jump Multi-Fit 8.5 kW Electric Shower thanks to it’s easy to install universal fitting design and easy cleaning features such as its anti-limescale and rubber nozzles on its showerhead.
The only reason we placed this Mira mode below the iBathUK is due to its noise which can be annoying when showering.
What To Look For In The Best Electric Shower (Our Best Buying Guide)
When searching for the best electric shower to install in your home, you might come across a variety of different features in each shower.
Some of the features are essential to have in your best shower model as they contribute to the high performance of it, you additionally might be wondering what benefits an electric shower has and if you should buy a power shower instead.
So with all that being said, we have put together a comprehensive buying guide for you to check out below which will answer all the questions about choosing your best electric shower for your home.
Top Features To Consider In Your Electric Shower
In a high-quality electric shower, there are many different specs and features you need to consider in your model before making a purchasing decision.
Features such as power and design will depend on your water supply and previous shower fitting.
We have listed out some further key features for you to consider in your shower below -
- Power - The power of the electric shower you decide on should be compatible with your waters pressure. The higher the power of your shower (which could be anything ranging from 8kW-10kW) then the better it will be at water heating. You should have at least 1.5 pressure of water from a 10kW electric shower.
- Design - Your electric showers design should be sleek and easy to use with clear controls. You should make sure the unit is not too bulky and has a big enough showerhead for your liking. A shower head with rubber nozzles tends to be easier to clean.
- Installation - Electric showers can be a little difficult to install depending on your plumbing knowledge and if you have had a previous shower fitted. It's best to get a plumber to connect the appliance to your cold water supply and electrical supply for safety reasons.
- Extra features - Some extra features to look out for on your shower are different heating modes, light indicators, anti-limescale functions and filters for cleaner water.
- Temperature control - The best showers will have a thermostatic temperature control included with their model. This thermostat allows you to have a consistent temperature when showering with little fluctuations to worry about.
- Warranty - With these electrical appliances your model must come with at least a one-year warranty for buyers insurance due to problems such as electrical failure and parts breaking.
What Are The Benefits Of Using An Electric Shower?
Choosing an electric shower for your bathroom gives you hot water on demand whenever you want, unlike a boiler which needs to be heated first. They can also solve low hot water pressure in your home.
We have listed out some more benefits for you to consider in your new electric shower below -
- Energy-saving - Electric showers are very energy efficient due to the fact you only heat water when you need it vs heating a whole boiler tank of which might not all be used and wasted. This can dramatically reduce your heating bills and save energy costs.
- Low cost - These showers tend to be a lot cheaper than other types of shower sets as they only need to be connected to your cold water supply.
- Easy installation - If you are looking at installing an electric shower into a new bathroom then the process will much easier than other shower types due to the adjustability of most models nowadays.
- Hot water on demand - No waiting for water to heat with an electric shower as they heat cold water instantly through their heating element, meaning you can have hot water whenever you want it.
- Eco-friendly - As these showers heat water through their self-contained unit; this means they leave heating for your home, making them more environmentally friendly and energy-efficient.
- Better pressure - If you have a low hot water supply or you want to be able to adjust the pressure of your shower then an electric shower can help boost hot water pressure by using the pressure from your cold water supply instead.
Electric Showers VS Power Showers - The Difference
If you have been researching about electric showers then it's likely you have also come across power showers.
Both shower types can give you hot water on demand from your water supply but differ slightly in their mechanisms and have advantages and disadvantages over each other.
Power showers operate by using a combination of hot water and cold water from your supply. These showers tend to have a thermostat and are great for low-pressure gravity water systems due to the pump located inside of them.
This integrated pump allows you to have a stronger and faster water flow, increasing the overall pressure of your shower.
However, power showers do tend to be less energy efficient than electric showers and waste much more water due to the higher pressure.
- Increased pressure.
- Good for low gravity fed systems.
- More pleasant shower experience.
- Less energy efficient.
- More costly.
- Wastes more water in comparison to electric models.
Electric showers don’t operate from a hot water supply and are instead directly connected to your cold water supply, meaning they heat water through the element inside of their unit.
These showers are great as they don’t depend on a boiler if your boiler decides to break down, they can also be fitted to a variety of different plumbing systems.
On the other hand, these electrical showers may not improve pressure as well as a power shower does, giving you a less pleasurable experience.
- Don’t rely on a hot water supply.
- Can give instant hot water.
- Easy to install.
- Don’t improve pressure.
- May not have a huge difference in energy costs when compared to a power shower.
Overall, both of these showers are pretty easy to install and can give you more control over the temperature of your shower and its flow.
If you are after a luxury high-pressure shower then its best to go with a power shower, however, if you don’t have a hot water supply or you want an energy-efficient hot shower individual from your boiler then its best to go with an electric shower instead.
What is the required water pressure for an electric shower?
The minimum pressure for an electric shower to operate with has to be 1 bar and above, this should be a maintained pressure also, meaning that when other appliances are on, your water can manage a 1 bar pressure.
Do electric showers use a lot of electricity?
Electric showers tend to use a fair amount of electricity depending on their wattage consumption, however, in comparison to a boiler they are more energy-efficient as they only heat the amount of water you need.
Can I have more than one electric shower in my home?
This depends on the capacity of the electricity in your house if you have too many electric showers in your house this could be a potential overload hazard. It's best to check with an electrician before installing numerous electric showers in a single household.
What's the best amount of wattage for an electric shower?
If you have a reliable and large water tank then you should go for an 8.5kW shower or a 10.8kW shower for the best heating results.
However, if you have a smaller tank however then it's better to go with a 5kW model or an 8.5kW electric shower.
Can I install an electric shower myself?
No, it's not advisable to install one of these electric showers yourself as they need to be installed by a certified electrician due to the mix of electricity and water.
What safety feature should be included in an electric shower?
Some safety features to consider in a best electric shower are thermostat control, auto-shutoff functions and slow turn off features which run cold water through the shower when turning off the device to prevent scalding and lime-scale build-up.
How do I work out the cost of an electric shower in my home?
The average cost of getting an electric shower installed in your home can be anything from 300-500 pounds.
To work out the cost of running an electric shower in your home then you need to times the kW cost per hour you are paying by the kW of the shower model you want. This will give you an hourly cost of running your shower.
You can then divide this cost by the number of showers taken per hour.
Will one of these electric showers work if I have a low-pressure water supply?
If you have low water pressure in your home then you may want to consider purchasing an electric shower with a pump to improve water pressure or a power shower which uses both hot and cold water supply
How much water does an electric shower use?
On average an electric shower can use around 6 litres per minute which is less in comparison to power showers and other high power models.
Our #1 Electric Shower For The Best Hot Water Shower
The number one electric shower on our list is the iBathUK 8.5kW Triton Aspirante Electric Shower due to its stylish and durable design, as well as it’s easy to control temperature which comes with light indicators.
As an alternative, we also suggested the Mira Showers 1.1788.010 Jump Multi-Fit 8.5 kW Electric Showerthanks to its easy fitting universal design and robust anti-limescale build which makes this shower a great long term investment.