How does metal detecting actually work?
Thanks to shows like Savage Family Diggers and sites like YouTube, where detectorists share their finds, metal detecting has seen a rise in popularity over the last decade or so. It is a hobby that hundreds of thousands of people take part in.
Before you begin metal detecting, it is important that you understand how a metal detector actually works first. The main element of your metal detector is the coil. When you swing the coil over the ground, it transmits an electromagnetic field into the ground.
Should the coil pick up any targets, those targets will produce their own electromagnetic field, thus triggering the detector to beep, alerting you that there is something beneath the ground. This is a highly enjoyable and addictive hobby, but not everyone will be able to do it.
One question that comes up quite frequently is whether or not pregnant women are able to use a metal detector. There is a lot of misinformation and scaremongering online about this topic. The simple fact is that yes, they are able to enjoy detecting like everybody else. However, there are some safety tips that should be followed.
How can pregnant women stay safe whilst metal detecting?
- Go to accessible places ? This is a very important tip to remember. If you are pregnant and still want to enjoy metal detecting, then it is important to keep in mind that there are going to be some limitations. As a rough rule, it is generally a good idea to only go to accessible places when detecting if you are pregnant. The last thing that you want to do is to be climbing rough terrain and putting a strain on your body. You can still enjoy metal detecting, by all means, but you will need to restrict yourself a little.
- Allow somebody else to do the digging ? Whilst you can still enjoy metal detecting, it is probably a better idea to allow somebody else to do the digging for you. There is no reason why you can?t operate the metal detector yourself and use your pin pointer and trowel when digging targets, but it is a much better idea to allow somebody else to dig the first hole when a target is detected so that you are not putting any unnecessary strain on your body.
- Avoid extreme weather ? One of the good things about metal detectors available now is that many of them are able to perform in extreme weather conditions. Storms often bring more finds to the shore line, so many detectorists will go out in rough weather. However, if you are pregnant, then it is probably a better idea to avoid any extreme weather conditions.
- Don?t over exert yourself ? It can be incredibly easy to get caught up in the excitement of metal detecting and end up spending a whole day doing it. However, if you are pregnant, this is not a good idea. Instead, it is a better idea to limit yourself to a couple of hours at a time. By doing this, you still get to enjoy the experience of metal detecting, but you are not going to be over exerting yourself. Pregnancy can put quite a drain on your body, so it is important that you don?t add to this strain.
- Think about the stage of pregnancy ? If you are in the early to mid-stages of pregnancy, then it is going to be easier for you to enjoy metal detecting without having to worry too much. However, if you are in the latter stages of pregnancy, it is probably a better idea to avoid metal detecting until after you have given birth. It is important that you really look after your body during pregnancy, so you don?t want to be putting any extra stress on it by doing activities that can be quite strenuous.
As long as you follow these tips, then there is absolutely not reason why you shouldn’t be able to enjoy metal detecting along with everybody else when you are pregnant. Metal detecting can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
There are so many pieces of history hidden under the ground just waiting to be discovered. These treasures may go back as far as Roman times and sometimes even further. If you are a fan of history, then it is definitely an activity to consider.
There are some fantastic budget machines available these days, so that everyone can enjoy digging history. If you are pregnant, then it is a good idea to get a lightweight machine as this is going to be easier for you to swing.
The good news is that there are some great lightweight beginner machines on the market that will be very easy to operate whether you are pregnant or not.