Kitchen | Cooking Utensils- Steel Woks Comparison
Be it making stir-frys, curries or even deep frying foods, woks are one of the most versatile and useful assets to your kitchen. Using Carbon Steel equipment has become increasingly popular for a number of reasons: it’s much lighter than cast iron, quicker heating up due to its reduced thickness, as well as a sleek and smooth design in comparison to its iron counterparts. Carbon Steel is the material traditionally used for making woks because it can withstand very high temperatures and diffuses heat quickly and evenly. Read on to find out about our top rated carbon steel woks.
1) CraftWok Traditional Hand Hammered Pow Wok
The reason why we’ve placed this at the top of our list is not only because this wok is made by the ultimate wok-specialists, it is an authentic chinese design with amazing build quality and a beautiful appearance. While being heavier than most other woks, It isn’t as weighty as you’d think- we found it deceptively light actually. The non-stick coating makes for easier cooking and less need to use oil for making dishes. The result? Healthier meals- that’s always a reason to buy something. Also- free UK delivery if you buy off of Amazon!
- Heavy Duty: With 1.8mm thick high-quality carbon steel, this wok is of medium-ranged weight 2.1kg. We don’t suggest moving it around too much, but this characteristic allows it to stay put on your hob surface without fear of it toppling over and giving you degree burns.
- Authentic Design: Being the choice of many professional Chinese chefs, this traditional Chinese wok pan is a genuine purchase and a great way to add a streak of exotic beauty into your kitchen. There’s another little piece of motivation to make your own stir-frys.
- Ethical Chinese Manufacturing: Not all things made in China should ring alarm bells for cheap labour. While such things do exist and should be informed to the public to keep them aware, this wok is hand-hammered in Guangzhou by Chinese professionals.
- Round bottom: The round bottom of this wok makes for an elegant and conceptual design, however this means it is not suitable for flat electric or flat induction stoves.
- Insulating Material Handle: The wooden addition to the handle means you don’t have to worry about burning your hand if you hold the handle too long. This is a struggle every homeowner knows of when cooking! Metal handles=trouble…
Value for Money: 9/10
2) MasterClass Non-Stick Induction-Safe Wok
Second on our list is this wok by MasterClass. With a truly masterful design and commendable build-quality, you won’t even want to stow away this pan in your cupboards. This is our favourite in terms of design- the black and metal handle both contrast and compliment eachother so well.
- Professional: This commercial-quality wok is manufactured of 2mm-thick carbon steel. There is a considerably long riveted handlebar for ease of carrying. Used in professional resturaunt kitchens, making it a pro-choice.
- Top Quality: Premium-grade non-stick reinforced with stainless steel
- Compatible with induction hobs
- 10 year MasterClass guarantee
- Available in 2 Diameters: 12 inch (30cm) and 14 inch (35.5cm)
- Oven Safe: Safe to use for temperatures as high as 250 degrees Celsius.
- Dishwasher safe
- Convenient: The wok handle has a handy integral hanging loop to allow you to store it in your kitchen without taking up too much space.
Value for Money: 9/10
3) Generic Traditional Carbon Steel Wok
This wok is made in the UK in traditional Chinese design style, making it a popular choice in Chinese takeaways and resturaunts. The winning feature about this pan is that it is 100% natural, which is always a nice thing to know- that you’re cooking a good meal in an earthy piece of equipment.
- Traditional: This wok is of professional grade and is used in many Chinese eateries both inside and out of the UK, so you’re guaranteed to get the same delicious taste every time.
- Elegant Design: With a thickness of only 1.1mm despite being made of carbon steel, the whole design is elegant and a pleasure to keep in your kitchen.
- Natural: This pan is beautifully made without any chemical coating, making it PFOA and PTFE-free.
- Perfect for cooking ingredients at high temperatures while preserving the flavour, colour and texture, and retaining the crispness of your veggies.
- Wide Space: With a good diameter size of 30 cm and weighing only 895g, this pan allows for large quantities of food to be cooked evenly and thoroughly.
- Flat bottom: This makes it suitable for most hobs and stoves and will ensure no food drops all over you.
- Wood handle: Heat resistant wood allows you to cook with ease without the fear of getting your hand burnt, even at the highest temperatures
- Metal utensil safe
- Not suitable for washing in a dishwasher
- Suitable for all hobs (with Induction hobs, use medium heat settings only).
- Needs to be seasoned before first use – Seasoning instructions and usage tips included.
Value for Money: 8/10