The Best Handheld Steam Cleaners Available Now
If you’re looking for a way to clean your house more efficiently and in a more environmentally friendly way you might find what you’re looking for in one of these handheld steam cleaners.
Why should you use a handheld steam cleaner?
Steam cleaners heat a small amount of water to boiling point, producing steam, which is then fired out a nozzle at a high pressure. Steam cleaners have a range of uses, some more obvious than others.
Any stubborn stains can be removed more easily by a steam cleaner. There are some which uses you might not think of, steam ironing for instance, to re-invigorate clothes, coats and jackets. Mirrors and windows too, are often easier with a steam cleaner and less likely to leave streaks than doing the job by hand. The high temperature produced by a steam clean also makes it perfect for cleaning mattress, sofa or armchair fabric.
The temperature water is heated to in a steam cleaner – above 140 Celcius – means ‘dry steam‘ is produced, which is a vapour ideal for cleaning jobs. This technique of cleaning has long been popular in industries like hospitality and healthcare, places where hygiene is essential, now steam cleaners are becoming more popular in domestic scenarios.
Not only do you get industrial standards of clean, but you help the environment by using less chemicals and products which eventually find their way back into the ecosystem and causing a range of harms.
What should you look for in one?
There are some important features and add-ons you should be looking for when purchasing a steam cleaner. Not all come with a range of nozzles and accessories necessary for the aforementioned tasks.
- A Range of Attachments – Making full use of your steam cleaner means have the right nozzle, bit or attachment to complete the job. One’s to look out for include soft
- Run time – Some steam cleaners run for ten minutes, others for half an hour or longer. Handheld steam cleaners are smaller, meaning a shorter use time, but increased mobility and manoeuvrability.
- Water temperature – Is this controllable? Is it high enough to kill baterica and other germs?
- Water pressure – Like temperature, is this controllable and is it high enough to remove stains like burnt on BBQ remains?
Our Picks of Handheld Steam Cleaners
These are our top three handheld steam cleaners for 2018/19.
MLMLANT Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
The MLMLANT steam cleaner is our pick of the steam cleaners in this list. This is due to its positive reviews, re-inforcing the stated qualities of the product from the manufacturer.
- Excellent power and pressure on grease stains
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- 20 minute run time with 350ml capacity
- Replacement for chemical cleaning products
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Some confusion about removing the water-filler cap, however this isn’t a defect, you have to wait for the steam cleaner to cool completely before the pressure can be released.
- Weighs 2.33kg, half a kilogram more than other reviewed cleaners
SIMBR Handheld Steam Cleaner
The SIMBR steam cleaner is our second pick, slightly more expensive than the MLMLANT. It weighs 2kg and comes with nine accessories including a flexible extension hose and fabric nozzle.
- 20-25 minute run time with ten minutes of continuous spraying
- Safety Lock and Auto-Off design help to prevent accident or injury coming from the heat of the steam and if there is no water in the tank.
- 3 meter long cable and 0.5 meter steam hose for reaching inaccessible places
- Rotating nozzle for 360 degree coverage and reach
- Weighs 1.84kg, the lightest of the reviewed cleaners
- Fewer accessories and add-ons than the MLMLANT steam cleaner.
- More expensive than other steam cleaners reviewed
- Instruction manual not the clearest and easiest to understand.
mfavour Handheld Steam Cleaner
The mfavour steam cleaner is our third pick, this is due to the chunkier and less aerodynamic shape of the body.
- High temperature of 140 Celcius
- Nine accessories
- Safety lock to prevent the device heating up without water inside- which would otherwise present a fire hazard
- Weighs 1.94kg, the second lightest of the featured steam cleaners
- The cheapest of our reviewed products
- The 2.8 bar pressure achieved by the mfavour is not as high other steam cleaners, lower pressure means working harder to remove stains
- Not suitable for using with additional chemicals in the tank
- Run time of 10 minutes is lower than the other steam cleaners reviewed