Short On Time? Our Recommended Best Dolce Gusto Machine Is The De'Longhi Nescafé Dolce Gusto Infinissima Pod Capsule! Best Dolce Gusto Machine Review and Buyers' GuideContents1 Best Dolce Gusto Machine Review and Buyers' Guide1.1 De'Longhi Nescafé Dolce Gusto Eclipse Touch (Editors' Choice)1.2 Breville All-in-One Coffee House1.3 Nescafé Dolce Gusto Krups Lumio1.4 Nescafé Dolce Gusto by […]
The Best Log Splitters Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1 The Best Log Splitters Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Our Top Log Splitter Choice! -
- 1.2 The Forest Master Heavy Duty Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter (Editor's Pick)
- 1.3 Which Is The Best Log Splitter?
- 1.4 What To Look For In The Best Log Splitter (Our Buying Guide)
- 1.5 Top Features To Consider In a Log Splitter
- 1.6 Electric Vs Petrol Log Splitters - Which Is Right For You?
- 1.7 Safety Tips For Using a Log Splitter
- 1.8 Frequently Asked Questions About Log Splitters
- 1.9 Our #1 Log Splitter For Splitting Wood
If you live in a place where a fireplace is needed for the colder nights, then you probably know just how expensive firewood can be to purchase to keep it running.
But by buying a type of log splitter of your own, you can easily be cutting your wooden logs into firewood without too much hassle, saving you more money in the long run, and using up any logs lying around your home.
However, choosing the right power log splitters machine is not all that easy, with there being a large variety of logs splitters on the market, you need to make sure you are getting a splitter with the right features and power for your job.
So to make it all a little more simple for you, we have narrowed down the top log splitters on the UK market and compared them to help you decide which splitter is right for you.
Our Top Log Splitter Choice! -
The Forest Master Heavy Duty Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter (Editor's Pick)
The Forest Master electric log splitters model comes with an 8T power for splitting logs into firewood and has a 16T power when you combine the electric splitter with its duo blade.
Power-wise, the Forest Master electric splitter has two different speeds to choose from too; one for the fastest splitters speed and another for larger log diameter. In total, the electric splitter by Forest Master can split larger options with a diameter of 400mm and is fitted with a 60mm ram.
In terms of design, the Forest Master electric log splitters model has a two-hand operation and comes with a workbench and safety guard for when you apply splitting pressure on the logs.
For buyers confidence, the FM16 log splitter from Forest Master comes with a three-year warranty too.
Overall, this hydraulic log splitter by Forest Master is a great option in comparison to other electric counterparts on the market thanks to its powerful motor and high splitting power which allows you to cut even the toughest of logs with ease.
We also like this wood splitter because of its design which is heavy-duty and has a great build quality, allowing it to be a quality investment.
However, this Forest Master wood splitter does have some drawbacks, for example, the heavy-duty log splitter is very heavy to move around and is not very portable, the log splitter head is also said to not be very secure.
- Heavy-duty power for a larger splitting diameter.
- Two different speeds.
- Duo blade included.
- Safety guard.
- 60mm ram.
- Three-year warranty.
- Heavy to move.
- The head is not secure.
Our Runner Up - The Handy THLS-6G Electric Log Splitter
If you are looking for a more mid-range electric log splitter then it could be worth checking out this wood splitter by The Handy.
Feature-wise, the electric log splitter comes with 6 tons of pressure and a 2200W electric motor, it can split logs with diameters 25cm and 52cm in length. There is a push-button included to start the electricity source and it has the mains electricity cable of 1.8 metres, a hydraulic control lever allows you to change the splitting pressure too.
For design, the 6 tons of pressure wood splitter has a heavy metal construction and a two-handed safety control system. The wood splitter is mounted on wheels too for easy transportation. A two-year warranty is further included with the Handy splitter for buyers confidence.
This electric log splitter by The Handy is overall one of the top entry-level splitter models on our list if you are looking for a heavy-duty machine at a mid-range price.
The machine with wheels is an ideal choice if you are looking to move your wood splitter around and it has an easy to use lever operation for cutting wood with ease, making it an affordable machine in comparison to heavier machines.
Some negatives of this The Handy electric log splitter have to be its assembly which is reported to be a little difficult.
- Powerful splitter at a mid-range price.
- 6 tons of pressure.
- Easy hydraulic lever control.
- Two-handed safety control.
- Maximum log diameter of 25cms.
- Hard to assemble
Charles Bentley 10 Ton Hand Operated Heavy Duty Hydraulic Log Splitter
This Charles Bently hydraulic wood splitter comes with a 10-ton pressure power for cutting pieces of firewood and has a hydraulic pump system that operates at two different speeds.
Main features of this wood splitter are its hand-operated design which requires no electricity, the model also operates as a horizontal splitter and has handgrips attached to the wood splitter for grip.
The wood splitter has a total weight of 43kg and has wheels for easier movement.
To conclude this Charles Bentley hydraulic wood splitter is an excellent choice if you are looking for a basic log splitter on a small budget. The basic log splitter has all the features needed to cut a bit of firewood and the pump system is easy to use on the machine with no electricity needed.
Downfalls of this Charles Bentley entry-level log splitter have to be its limited log splitting capacity which might not be able to cut larger logs into pieces of firewood. The machine additionally is reported to have low durability in comparison to other log splitting options on the market.
- 10-ton power.
- Hydraulic pump system with two speeds.
- Hand operation.
- Wheels for easier movement.
- Not as powerful as larger log splitters.
- Low durability.
Forest Master 5 Ton Fast Electric Hydraulic FM5 Log Splitter
This Forest Master electric hydraulic log splitter comes with a 2200 watt motor and a splitting power of 5 tons accompanied by an average cycle time of 9 seconds.
Notable features of this Forest Master hydraulic log splitter are its maximum cutting diameter of 300m and maximum cutting length of 300mm. The Forest Master splitter additionally has wheels for movement and a lightweight of 32kg.
Design-wise, the electric splitter has a button and lever for two-handed operation and comes filled with oil for immediate use. A one-year warranty is included.
If you are looking for a reliable mid-power log splitter then this Forest Master machine is a great option for you, with 5 tons of power it can cut soft and green wood and its light weight makes the splitter much more portable than a more powerful heavy machine.
Negatives of the Forest Master model have to be its limited power in comparison to other professional options on our list, this might limit the size of the logs you can split.
- Impressive cycle time of 5 seconds.
- 2200 watt motor.
- Light product weight.
- One-year warranty.
- Easy to operate lever.
- Limited splitting power.
Logmaster Foot Operated Heavy Duty Log Splitter
For people who are on a limited budget, this manual splitters Logmaster model could be a great option.
In terms of features, the Logmaster manual log splitter comes with a one-foot operation system and can split a log size with a maximum length of 46cm and a maximum diameter of 26cm. A splitting power of 1.2 tons can be created from the manual log splitter when pumped by the foot.
Material-wise, the manual log splitter is made of heavy-duty powder-coated steel and has non-slip feet, it also folds down for better storage and has a safety clip attached. A one-year warranty is included for the buyer's confidence.
Overall, this Logmaster manual splitter is an intelligent choice if you want to avoid paying for an electric power source or avoid emissions from petrol log splitters.
Although this affordable manual model might not have as much power as other log splitters, it is great for cutting small-sized logs for the average fireplace. We also like this Logmaster model due to its durable build quality.
Downfalls of this Logmaster manual splitter are its obvious lack of power, some users have also reported the splitter to break easily when in use.
- Affordable price.
- Environmentally friendly.
- One-foot operation.
- 1.2-ton splitting power.
- One-year warranty.
- Foldable for storage.
- Lack of power.
- Can break easily.
Which Is The Best Log Splitter?
To round up our best log splitter reviews, the best fastest splitters model on our list for cutting your firewood has to be the Forest Master Heavy Duty Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter.
This Forest Master model is a powerful log splitter that can handle splitting even the toughest of logs without too much user effort required and has high durability making it a great long-term investment and is also very easy to function thanks to its hydraulic pump system.
As a more affordable runner-up, we would also suggest checking out The Handy Electric Log Splitter because of its affordable price and mid-range splitting power which is great for cutting logs with an average maximum diameter of 25cm.
The only reason we did not place this The Handy model as our number is due to its lack of splitting power which might not be strong enough for splitting very heavy-duty wood with ease.
What To Look For In The Best Log Splitter (Our Buying Guide)
Now we have compared and found the best log splitter options on the UK market, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the most important features you need in your model, as well as whether or not an electric or petrol log splitter is right for you.
It's also necessary to get to know some safety tips for using your log splitter once you decide on your best model.
We have composed our best buying guide below that will give you all the essential information you need to know so as you can be sure you are buying the best log splitter for your wood cutting.
Top Features To Consider In a Log Splitter
When choosing the right log splitter, you need to consider a few important features which help you split wood with ease, some of these to mention are; power, cycle time, diameter range and portability.
More affordable splitters will often compromise on their splitting range, so you must look at these specs before making a final purchase.
We will go over these main features to watch out for in further detail below.
- Power - First of all, you should consider the power source of your splitter. A range of splitters will often come with either; an electric motor, a manual power system or a gas-powered system. Each type of splitter has its advantages and disadvantages, but petrol models are generally used for more heavy-duty work, while electric mid-range and manual for easy firewood cutting. The better the watt motor or engine on your splitter then the easier it will be able to cut wood.
- Drive force - The driving force of a splitter is measured in tons, this refers to how easy the machine will be able to push its sharp blade through the log. For electric splitters, this should be ideally around 10 tons of force, and for a gas-powered splitter around 25 tons of driving force, this will also impact the diameter of the wood you can cut, which we will get on to later.
- Cycle time - A faster log splitting cycle will mean you can cut logs in a quicker time, this feature is most important for professional log splitters, as it means they will be able to cut through loads faster, however, for the average log splitter user, a cycle time of around 10-15 seconds should be more than enough.
- Diameter range - Looking for a splitter with a larger maximum splitting diameter and length range will allow you to cut large logs, on average the diameter should not be less than 10-inches in diameter, you will often find petrol models can cut logs with a large diameter range than petrol models.
- Weight - Having a lightweight for your robust log splitter is important, a splitter too heavy will be difficult to move around, so if your splitter does have more of a heavyweight, ensure it comes with wheels for better mobility.
- Adjustability - A splitter that has a range of adjustable heights lets you have more choice when cutting different sized logs, more basic models will have a more limited cutting height range.
- Design - Design-wise, your best log splitter should be easy to use with the two-handed operation and have some safety features included such as a clip or guard, some of the more high-end models may even have a workbench included as well. It's important to ensure that your splitter is durable too and won't break easily from the impact of splitting logs.
- Warranty - No matter what, your log splitter should come with at least a one-year warranty in case you receive a faulty model, some parts on cheaper log splitters are often less durable, so make sure these models have a warranty just in case.
Electric Vs Petrol Log Splitters - Which Is Right For You?
When deciding on the right log splitter model for you, it will likely be a choice between electric or petrol splitters depending on the power you need, manual log splitters can be a great option for people on a budget, but do require a fair amount of manual effort which makes them a little less popular.
So as you can see whether or not an electric or petrol splitter is right for you, we have compared the two types of models below, along with their advantages and disadvantages.
Electric Log Splitters
Electric log splitters are often the better choice for the average homeowner than petrol wood splitters, this is because they need much less maintenance than a petrol splitter and are also better for the environment.
These electric wood splitters can further be used inside as they have no emissions and are much quieter.
Downfalls of electric log splitters in comparison to gas-powered log splitters have to be their lack of power which might not be suitable for cutting heavy-duty logs or for professional work. The corded power of these machines can also be a little limiting if you are not near a socket.
- Less maintaining needed.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Can be used indoors.
- Lack of power in comparison to gas log splitters.
- Corded power can be restricting.
Gas Log Splitters
On the other hand, petrol-powered wood splitters tend to be the fastest log splitter type on the market, these petrol models are the best for cutting large and heavy-duty logs and they are also more portable as they do not need to be corded for power.
Drawbacks of the gas-powered engine splitters have to be that they are very heavy in comparison to electric wood splitters, these models additionally need more maintaining and are often more expensive than electric models.
- Great for heavy-duty professional work.
- More portable.
- A better ton of power.
- Not environmentally friendly.
- Heavy in weight.
- Needs more maintenance.
- Can be more expensive.
So Which Type Of Log Splitter Is Best?
Overall, for average log splitting at home, an electric log splitter is likely the more suitable option thanks to its lower price and ease of use, these splitters are also less costly to run.
However, if you are looking to split very heavy logs, then a fast action log splitters model which runs on petrol power might be more suitable.
Safety Tips For Using a Log Splitter
Log splitters are fairly easy to use, but you need to ensure you are taking the right safety steps to be using one properly without danger.
We have put together some of our best safety tips for using your splitter to cut wood below.
- Wear the right gear - When using your log splitter it is very important to be wearing protective gear; hearing protection, goggles, and gloves are important when cutting logs due to pieces of wood flying around while you are splitting.
- Check your wood - Always split your logs to the grain of your wood then readjust accordingly if your wood splits a different way, many logs will not always split straight down.
- Keep your work area clear - Clutter around your space can increase the likelihood of an accident occurring, so it's ideal to make sure your area is tidy and clear before starting to split your logs.
- Be careful of children - Children should be kept away from your vertical splitter or horizontal splitter at all times, these machines often have a sharp blade and can be dangerous to a curious child.
- Use it on an even base - Make sure that your splitter is positioned on even ground when splitting would, if not this could cause the machine to tip over during use and cause an accident.
- Keep the wheels locked - Some splitters will come with wheels for better portability so you should make sure that they are locked during use to prevent the splitter from rolling around during use.
- Check your parts - For petrol log splitters you should ensure that the oil in the machine is always topped up at all times, for electric and hydraulic models make sure that the pipes or cord is not too worn out.
Frequently Asked Questions About Log Splitters
How many tons of force should my log splitter have?
This depends on the type of splitter that you buy, but for an electric splitter, look for a force of between 5 and 10, for a petrol splitter you can even find models of up to 20 tons of force, but this is only really needed for professional work.
What is the average price of an electric log splitter?
On average, an electric log splitter will cost around £250 or more depending on its power, the lower the cost of your splitter then the less power it will have.
How does an electric log splitter work?
An electric log splitter works by using a hydraulic pump system to push the blade of the splitter into the wood, this takes care of all the hard manual work when using an axe.
What is the fastest log splitter cycle time?
Most log splitters have a cycle time of around 10-15 seconds but some higher-end models can even have a short cycle time of just 3 seconds, this is only necessary for professional use, however.
How do you maintain a petrol log splitter?
For maintaining a hydraulic log splitter you need to make sure that you check the fuel level before every use, you should additionally be checking the filter and hoses for any leaks too.
What maximum diameter cutting capacity should my log splitter have?
Most of the time, a log splitter should be able to cut a log of 25 inches diameter, however, some models might be able to cut large logs too, but these are often more expensive and petrol powered.
Our #1 Log Splitter For Splitting Wood
Our number one log splitter for cutting your wood is the Forest Master Heavy Duty Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter, this Forest Master model has a powerful 8-ton splitting power and 16-ton splitting power when used with its blade and a great maximum diameter cutting capacity.
We also suggested The Handy Electric Log Splitter as an alternative option thanks to its mid-range price and easy to use lever system which allows you to cut average-sized logs with ease.