Finding the Best Mattress Topper UK
Mattress toppers have been available for a long time now, yet not all of us use them. Even if you have a very high quality mattress, you can still benefit from a topper. There are actually a lot of different advantages that come with having a mattress topper on your bed. Here are a couple of examples of the ways in which you can benefit from buying one.
- Protect your Mattress – One of the biggest ways in which you can benefit from having a mattress topper is that it will allow you to protect the mattress itself. Mattresses are not cheap and ideally, they should last you for several years. By having a mattress topper you can make sure that it is protected and lasts longer.
- More Hygienic – Although you will have bed sheets that offer some protection from germs, it is important to keep in mind that we spend several hours a night in bed so germs are inevitable. With a mattress topper, you can give yourself more protection from germs.
- More Comfortable – If you struggle with back pain or discomfort in general, then it is likely that your mattress may make things worse. By having a mattress topper, you will probably find that you are far more comfortable in bed. There are some toppers that are made from different materials that boost comfort levels.
- Keep Cool – Another great added benefit with mattress toppers is the fact that a lot of them are designed to keep you cool. If you struggle to get comfortable at night because you get too hot then a mattress topper with cooling properties is definitely going to be of benefit to you.
What to Look for in a Mattress Topper
When it comes to choosing a mattress topper, there are a lot of different aspects that you will need to consider. After all, you want to make sure that it is something that is going to offer you comfort and not the opposite. Here are a couple of tips that will help you choose the right topper for you.
The material that you choose for your topper is going to be the most important part of your decision. There are so many different types to choose from and each has their own pros and cons. If you want something luxurious, for example, then you will probably want to get a memory foam mattress topper. However, there are also plenty of budget options that are available such as standard cotton. It all depends on what you are looking for personally.
If you suffer with back pain or joint pain in general, then it is likely that your mattress is going to effect this. Fortunately, there are plenty of mattress toppers that can help you with this. For example, if you suffer from a bad back then you might be interested in firm mattress toppers. These types of toppers will offer you some extra support.
Before you can buy a topper for your mattress, you will need to consider the price that you are happy to pay. The prices for these can vary massively depending on several factors so it is a good idea to set a budget and stick to it.
If you want to find the best mattress topper uk, then there are a few things that you should do. One of them is to read plenty of customer reviews. These reviews will allow you to make an informed choice. To take some of the work out of it for you, we have tested and reviewed our top three. Take a look below to find out more information.
3. Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Southern Foam have been producing foam for bedding, upholstery and packaging for more than thirty years now, so it is safe to say that they know what makes a high quality mattress topper. With this knowledge, we were really excited to try their topper and we were not disappointed. Read on for our review.
- Very supportive on the upper back.
- Very comfortable.
- Improves sleep significantly.
- It has an odour initially that takes a while to go away.
The first thing that we loved about this mattress topper is the way in which it was shipped. It came rolled and vacuum packed, so it was really easy to simply unpack and allow it to rest on the mattress to let it expand to its full size. The one thing that we did notice was that there is an odour initially. We found that it took a few days to get rid of it completely, but suspect this is because it is a new product.
After allowing the topper to settle for a while it was ready to test out. The first thing that we noticed was how firm it is, which is great. It feels very comfortable to lay on and you can really feel the difference. It definitely improved sleep.
We didn’t notice any difference in temperature when using the mattress topper, but given that it is just foam we didn’t expect it to offer any cooling properties. This is a fairly mid-range topper but we would certainly recommend it if you want something inexpensive yet effective.
2. Milliard 2-Inch/5cm Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Washable Removable Soft Cover
We hadn’t actually heard of the brand Milliard, so we weren’t really sure what to expect from this memory foam mattress topper. However, after testing and reviewing it we’re happy to say that it was fantastic and we would highly recommend it. Read on for our in depth review.
- Memory Foam Material
- Infused with PCM Cooling Gel
- 2 Inches Thick
- Off White
- 190 x 120 x 5 cm
- 74 Kg
- The cooling gel is very effective.
- It comes with a removable cover for better protection.
- Very comfortable.
- The topper could be a little thicker.
Like the previous one, this memory foam mattress topper came rolled and sealed. We unrolled it and placed it on top of the mattress to allow it to settle which took no time at all. Our initial impression was that the removable cover is a really nice touch. It feels soft and comfortable and is very easy to remove and replace.
When it came to testing out the topper, we were so impressed. The fact that it is infused with PCM cooling gel really makes a difference. We found that the topper remained cool throughout the night which really made a huge difference to comfort levels. For bad backs and joints, this is a huge bonus.
The only possible complaint that we could possibly mention about this one is that the topper itself could perhaps be a little thicker. At only 2 inches, it would probably be even more comfortable with a bit of added thickness. Other than that, this is a winning mattress topper for definite.
1. Silentnight Impress 2.5 cm Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Our Top Choice
When thinking about bedding in general, the one brand that will spring to mind for most people is Silentnight. This is a brand that has been manufacturing bedding products for decades now and they have a very solid reputation. As you can imagine, we were expecting very good things from this topper and we were not at all disappointed.
- Memory Foam Material
- 5cm Thick
- 58.7 x 31.8 x 31.2 cm
- Very high quality memory foam.
- Hypoallergenic so perfect for those with allergies or asthma.
- Removable polyester cover.
- A little on the expensive side.
Knowing how reputable Silentnight is as a brand, we were really excited to test this one out. We were so pleased with the results. It took a matter of minutes for the topper to settle on the mattress before it was ready to use. There was no difficulty getting the removable cover off and back on and fastening the topper to the mattress itself was very easy.
When it came to testing the topper, we were incredibly impressed. It doesn’t make you feel too hot or too cold and the cover on the topper itself is very comfortable to sleep on. The fact that it is hypoallergenic is a big plus for those who suffer with allergies or asthma.
Although this mattress topper isn’t the thickest at only 2.5cm, you really don’t notice a difference. The memory foam is of such a high quality that it is more than thick enough. Although this one is a little more expensive than some of the other options, it is definitely worth the money and this is why it is our top choice today.
We hope that after reading our reviews you are now able to make a decision on the best topper for your needs. They really can make a huge difference to your quality of sleep.