Best Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming
Best Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
Best Budget Mechanical Keyboard
Best Mechanical Keyboard for Mac
Best Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming
Best Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
Best Budget Mechanical Keyboard
Best Mechanical Keyboard for Mac
If you are a keen gamer, then you will already be well aware of the fact that there are a range of options, when it comes to customising your PC to enhance your gaming experience. One of the most important components to any gaming PC is the keyboard. There are a number of different types, but for gaming purposes, the mechanical keyboard is definitely the best option.
What Is A Mechanical Keyboard?
- 1 What Is A Mechanical Keyboard?
- 2 Why Use A Mechanical Keyboard? – What Are
- 3 The Benefits?
- 4 Mechanical Keyboard vs Membrane
- 5 Top Rated Mechanical Keyboards
- 6 Best Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming – Logitech G413
- 7 Best Wireless/Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard – Corsair K63
- 8 Best Cheap/Budget Mechanical Keyboard – Redragon K552-N-UK KUMARA
- 9 Best Mechanical Keyboard for Mac – YockTec
- 10 Best Mechanical Keyboard With Silent/Quietest Switch – HAVIT UK
- 11 Best Small Mechanical Keyboard – Huo Ji
- 12 Best Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard – Fnatic miniSTREAK
When you buy a standard PC setup, you will typically have your tower and monitor, along with a mouse and keyboard. More often than not, the keyboard that will be supplied with your PC will be a membrane keyboard. These types of keyboards are cheap to produce and fairly standard these days.
They have a rubber dome underneath the keys which is what activates each key. Whilst these types of keyboards are fine for typing and everyday computer activity, they aren’t really suitable for serious gamers because they are simply not durable enough.
For gamers, the best option is a mechanical keyboard. These typically consist of spring mechanisms underneath each key, rather than the flimsy rubber membrane. There are different types of mechanical keyboards on the market at the moment, but some of the best are spring controlled. As you can imagine, there are plenty of benefits that these types of keyboards are able to offer.
Why Use A Mechanical Keyboard? – What Are
- Far More Durability – By far, one of the biggest advantages that comes with the mechanical keyboard is the extra durability that you get. As an avid gamer, you will know that the keys can take quite a battering if you are playing certain games and membrane keyboards simply cannot keep up. Mechanical keyboards are far more durable and better for gaming in general.
- Better Feel – Along with extra durability, mechanical keyboards in general have a much nicer feel to them. They feel better made and much more responsive which adds to the gaming experience.
- More Precise – As well as feeling more comfortable to use, mechanical keyboards are very precise. When gaming, precision is everything. The last thing that you want is to make a mistake because you have hit the wrong key. Mechanical keyboards actually respond when they are pressed only halfway so they are far more accurate.
- Versatile – Different types of keyboards are better suited to different things. Some may be more suited to typists and some may be better suited to gaming, it all depends. One of the good things about mechanical keyboards is that they are very versatile. Not only are they great for gaming, but they are also very good for those who need to be able to type at a faster rate too.
- Customisable – Although this could be said about other types of keyboards too, it is important to keep in mind that mechanical keyboards are especially suited to customisation, whether that is LED lighting or any other customisation option. If you are looking to build your own PC, then a mechanical keyboard should definitely be considered.
Mechanical Keyboard vs Membrane
As we have already mentioned above, there are different types of keyboards on the market. Typically, when you buy a PC setup, you will be provided with a membrane keyboard. In order to choose between a mechanical keyboard and a membrane keyboard, you need to look at the pros and cons of each. Let’s take a look.
Mechanical Keyboard Pros:
- The keys of a mechanical keyboard are far more responsive.
- The keyboard in general is far more durable.
- Mechanical keyboards are very versatile; they are well suited to both gamers and typists.
- There are plenty of options for customisation.
- They allow for fast precision typing.
Mechanical Keyboard Cons:
- Because the keys are powered by spring mechanisms they can be quite loud which might not be ideal in the workplace.
- They can be more expensive than membrane keyboards.
- They will take some time to get used to if you are used to using a membrane keyboard.
Membrane Keyboard Pros:
- They are cheap to produce and cheap to buy.
- They are good for fast typing.
- It is easy to replace broken keys.
Membrane Keyboard Cons:
- They are not as responsive as mechanical keyboards.
- You need to fully depress the key before the keystroke is registered.
- They are not as durable as mechanical keyboards.
- They aren’t well suited to gaming.
Top Rated Mechanical Keyboards
If you are planning on buying a mechanical keyboard for your setup, then it is important that you do your research first. Different models are able to offer different benefits. One of the best things that you can do is to read some mechanical keyboard reviews. In order to take some of the work out of this for you, we have compiled a list of some of the top rated mechanical keyboards on the market right now. Please read on below.
For gaming purposes, you need a mechanical keyboard that is simplistic in its design yet effective in its execution and the Logitech G413 certainly meets that criteria. The design of this particular mechanical keyboard is a little different to what we’ve come to expect.
Rather than your standard plastic casing, this particular model comes in a brushed metal. For us, this was a really nice touch, especially given the budget price tag attached to this one.
The only drawback to the design of this one from Logitech is that it doesn’t really offer much in the way of customisation. The lighting options are limited which may be a little off putting for some.
However, if you are more interested in the performance of the mechanical keyboard than the design and you want an ideal gaming keyboard without paying a small fortune then this is definitely one to consider.
In terms of usability, one of the things that we really liked is how user friendly this particular model is. The keys are very responsive and perfect not only for gaming but also fast typing too. There are no discreet media keys with this one but they can be found along the top row of the keyboard itself.
For a budget mechanical gaming keyboard that really delivers, the Logitech G413 is a fantastic choice.
Features: Romer-G Mechanical Switches – Aluminium Alloy Material – Full Function Keys – USB Pass Through – 12 Gaming Caps – Precision Key Lighting – 1.5m Cable – Dimensions: 44.5 x 13.2 x 3.4 cm – Weight: 1.11kg
Best Wireless/Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard – Corsair K63
In terms of design, the Corsair K63 is as sleek as they come. It is incredibly slim lined and looks fantastic. As you can imagine, the lack of wiring certainly makes for a nice finish. With this mechanical keyboard, the keys are powered by Cherry MX Red Switches. The keys themselves are incredibly responsive.
One thing that actually really surprised us with this keyboard was the noise level. With mechanical keyboards you expect extra noise because of the springs, but this one from Corsair is actually surprisingly quiet. Each key on the keyboard has an LED light beneath it which looks fantastic during night time game play.
The only drawback with this one is the fact that blue is the only colour that you will be able to use for the LEDs. This isn’t really a problem though as the keyboard looks fantastic. The dedicated media keys can be found along the left and right hand side of the keyboard so they are easily accessible.
The one thing that you will notice about this mechanical keyboard from Corsair is that there is no number pad. This is not necessarily a problem though and the extra space is actually quite a nice feature.
The battery life for the keyboard is surprisingly long, so if you like long nights gaming and you don’t want trailing wires everywhere then this is the mechanical keyboard for you.
Features: Cherry MX Red Switches – Plastic Material – Tenkeyless Keys – Bluetooth Connectivity – Precision Key Lighting – No Cable – Dimensions:36.6 x 17.3 x 4.1 cm – Weight: 1.09kg
If you are relatively new to PC gaming, then it is understandable that you would first want to purchase a budget build rather than spending hundreds on a customised setup. One of the vital components will be your mechanical keyboard.
If you are set on a budget setup, then this mechanical keyboard from Redragon is the perfect option. In terms of design, it really is as basic as they come. It is a full keyboard of 87 keys with dedicated media keys. The design itself is fairly plain.
However, the keyboard is nice to use, the keys are very responsive and the keyboard itself isn’t overly noisy either. There is the option to customise this keyboard with LED lighting but it doesn’t come with in built lit up keys, so this could be an upgrade to consider.
There isn’t really anything special about this particular mechanical keyboard, but for a budget model it does the job. We encountered no issues with responsiveness during gameplay and the overall shape of the keys feels very nice. We would definitely recommend this keyboard for a budget option.
Features: Custom Mechanical Switches – Plastic Material – Full Function Keys – 12 Multimedia Keys – Dimensions: 35.4 x 12.3 x 3.7 cm – Weight: 998g
If you have a Mac setup, then it is likely that you have spent a fair amount of money putting your custom build together, so it is understandable that you would want to make sure that your gaming keyboard matches the quality and this semi mechanical keyboard from YockTec definitely fits the bill.
It features 105 keys, 19 of which are anti-ghost. Although this is not a full mechanical keyboard, it certainly matches up in terms of quality and responsiveness. What we really liked about this particular keyboard is the customisation options.
First of all, there is the fact that the keys feature fluent marquee effects. This allows you to use a range of different lighting effects for the LEDs behind the keys. You can choose from a range of different colours and effects to really customise your gaming experience.
Although this particular semi mechanical keyboard is a little more pricey, it is definitely worth it. If you have a Mac setup and you want to go for the ultimate effect then this keyboard is a must have.
Features: Flexible Removable Key Caps – 105 Keys – 19 Anti-Ghost Keys – Fully Backlit – Waterproof – Dimensions: 48.3 x 18.5 x 6.1 cm – Weight: 1.22kg
One of the problems that you will face with any mechanical keyboard is the noise level. Because the switches are powered by springs, extra noise is inevitable. However, there are certain keyboards on the market which are markedly quieter and one of those is this model that we tested from HAVIT UK.
With 105 RGB backlit keys, we found the overall design of this particular mechanical keyboard really nice. It is slim and sleek; it features a very modern design. In using the keyboard, we were really happy with the responsiveness. We had absolutely no issues during gameplay.
One of the things that really impressed us with this mechanical keyboard is how lightweight it is. Typically, you expect extra weight with these types of keyboards but thanks to its extra sleek design this wasn’t an issue.
The price that you can expect to pay for this HAVIT mechanical keyboard is a little more on the expensive side, but if you are looking for a keyboard with extra quiet switches and a sleek design then it doesn’t get better than this one.
Features: Kailh Blue Switches – 105 Keys – Fully Backlit – Dimensions: 43.6 x 12.6 x 2.28 cm – Weight: 1kg
Best Small Mechanical Keyboard – Huo Ji
For some people, space might be an issue with their gaming setup. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to compromise on your mechanical keyboard as there are plenty of compact models out there. This particular keyboard from Huo Jo is a great option.
It has a tenkeyless design which is incredibly user friendly. Featuring removable blue mechanical switches, there are a lot of options in terms of customisation with this mechanical keyboard which is a feature that we really liked.
This in combination with the customisable backlighting really adds to the overall gaming experience. The great thing about this keyboard is that it has been designed with a lack of space in mind.
We found it perfect for smaller spaces where we didn’t want to compromise on our gaming experience. The price tag that you can expect to pay is a little more expensive, but it is certainly worth it.
Features: Outemu Mechanical Switches – Tenkeyless Keys – 81 Keys – Fully Backlit – Dimensions: 42.9 x 3.8 x 12.2 cm – Weight: 798g
Best Ergonomic Mechanical Keyboard – Fnatic miniSTREAK
If an ergonomic design is important to you then you are going to be a huge fan of this mechanical keyboard from Fnatic. First of all, the design is totally different from any other mechanical keyboard that we have tested. With curved edges and keys, it really stands out.
One of the things that we really liked about the design of this keyboard is the wrist rest. We found this really came in handy during gameplay. This keyboard is powered by Cherry MX Silent Red Switches which are perfect for those who need to be able to keep noise levels to a minimum without compromising on their gaming experience.
It also features multi-coloured RGB lighting which is fully customisable. Overall, we were incredibly impressed with the design and user-friendliness of this particular mechanical keyboard and would highly recommend it.
Features: Cherry MX Silent Red Switches – Tenkeyless Keys – Fully Backlit – Dimensions: 37.4 x 21.8 x 7 cm – Weight: 703g
Hopefully now you have all of the information that you could possibly need and you now have a much better idea of the right mechanical keyboard for you. Enjoy gaming!
Last Updated on