If you are wanting to make cafe grade lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites at home, you are going to need a milk frother. A milk frother can upgrade your at-home coffees and make them taste even better than the more expensive versions you can get at the shops.
A milk frother will surely upgrade anyone's coffee bar in their kitchen.
Selecting the right device to fit your specific needs can be a daunting task. After all, there are a seemingly infinite number of frothers on the market today. Which one should you choose?
If you go with any of the frothers on our comprehensive list, you will surely not be disappointed.
Best Milk Frothers
Lavazza A Modo Mio Milk Easy Frother (Editor's Choice)
The Lavassa A Modo Mio Milk Easy frother makes the perfect frothy milk every time.
This little device is perfect for whipping up a cappuccino or latte thanks to its different attachments.
This milk frother is extremely easy to use. Choose which whisk you want to use (either the cappuccino whisk or latte whisk) and insert it and fill up the device with cold milk.
After this, simply put the metal jug into the frother component, put on the lid, and press the power button.
This device also has a cold frothing option. Instead of pressing the button briefly, you hold it down until it beeps.
This device is so easy to use because it only has one button. It can froth milk to be hot or cold, and all of this is accomplished with a short or long press of the one button.
All of the parts of this particular device are dishwasher safe. This makes cleanup a breeze.
Another great benefit to this product is that it is much more lightweight than other similar frothers are. It does not take up a ton of counterspace and can easily be tucked away into a cupboard when it is not in use.
- This milk frother is compatible with dairy milks as well as non dairy milks
- Since this device has a matte black finish, it goes very well with any other existing kitchen appliances
- This device is extremely affordable compared to other appliances of the same calibre
- The components of this frother are all dishwasher safe
- This frother has two settings, which may not be enough for some users
If you are looking for an easy to use milk frother for every day use, look no further than the Lavazza A Modo Mio Milk Easy frother.
Miroco Milk Frother
Another affordable and sleek milk frother is this particular model from Miroco. This device comes in either black or white, so that you can choose the best one to fit your existing kitchen decor.
This milk frother has four settings. They include hot dense foam, hot airy foam, hot milk frothing, and cold milk frothing.
These additional settings give you more versatility with your hot drinks; with this milk frother, you can make lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos, flat whites, and even hot chocolates.
This device features one button; press it once for dense hot foam, twice for hot fluffy foam, three times for hot foam, and four times for cold foam.
This frother features a double wall design and a stainless steel interior for heat insulation and to keep the milk tasting great.
The inner coating is coated with nonstick Teflon which keeps it contaminant free and makes it super easy to clean with a soft, damp cloth.
- This device makes thick and creamy frothed milk every time
- This appliance is very inexpensive
- This particular model can froth dairy and non dairy milk as well
- Some customers have noted how they wish the liquid capacity was a bit larger in this frother
- The components are not dishwasher safe
If you are looking for an inexpensive milk frother with additional milk settings, look no further than this model from Miroco.
HadinEEon Milk Frother
If you are looking for a larger milk frother, the HadinEEon milk frother is a great choice.
This device has two options for frothing: either hot or cold. It froths milk in less than one minute for perfect lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites.
The inside of the jug is made with premium stainless steel for improved durability. It is also coated with an anti-stick layer to make it easy to clean.
Purchase of this milk frother comes with two different whisks for added ease of use.
- This milk frother allows you to produce warm frothy milk in less than one minute
- Purchase of this particular device comes with two different whisks
- This device is extremely easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Some customers have complained that this device heats milk up too much to the point of burning
If you are looking for a larger milk frother for your everyday coffees, give the HadinEEon milk frother a try.
Miroco Electric Milk Steamer
Another Miroco milk frother makes it onto our favourites list because this company produces reliable and durable kitchen appliances for everyday use.
This particular device produces three different types of foam for coffees: hot airy foam, hot dense foam, and cold milk froth.
Purchase of this particular model comes with two whisks that can help make perfect lattes, cappuccinos, and hot chocolates.
This milk frother is constructed with high quality stainless steel and is coated with a non stick layer on the inside to make cleaning up super easy.
This milk frother is equipped with a safety feature that turns off the frother when the milk is ready.
- This milk frother works with dairy and non dairy milks alike
- Customers rave that this milk frother is very fast
- Some customers have complained that the capacity of this milk frother is not quite big enough
This Miroco milk frother is another affordable model that will look at home on your kitchen countertop.
Hommak Electric Milk Frother
Another sleek milk frother on our list is this model from Hommak. It provides the user with smooth, thick milk foam in less than 80 seconds.
Simply pour milk into the container, press the button, and the milk will be ready as soon as your coffee is finished brewing.
This milk frother is nearly silent as it works as to not disturb other members of your household.
This device can produce hot foam or cold foam.
- This milk frother is quite quick and silent as it works
- You can make hot chocolates with this machine as well
- This milk frother only has two settings
Over all, this is a decently priced milk frother that will look great in your kitchen.
What to Look for in a Milk Frother
There are several aspects of milk frothers to consider before you invest in one for your kitchen. After all, you will probably be using this device every day, so it is important that you pick the right one for your and your coffee making needs.
The first thing you should consider when buying a new milk frother is your budget. It is very easy to get a lot of bells and whistles on a device and subsequently up the price.
This is not necessary, however. There are plenty of reliable models that have the features that you need most at a reasonable price.
Ease of Use
Obviously, you should go with a model that it easy to use and operate.
Consider this, however: will you want to take your milk frother along with you? For example, maybe you will want to take it camping.
If portability is a factor, make sure that you go with a handheld model or one that can be battery powered.
If you are in the market for a milk frother, chances are you will be using it in the morning when you are in a rush and heading out the door.
If you are short on time, make sure to pick a milk frother that tailors to this. There are a number of frothers on the market today that can whip up hot, frothy milk in under a minute.
Another facet to consider is how much power your new milk frother requires. Any electrical product that uses a large amount of energy can have an impact on your electric bills.
Usually, handheld frothers require less power compared to ones that are no handheld. If you are concerned about energy usage, then go with a handheld model.
Finding an appliance that is easy to clean is another thing to consider before you invest in a milk frother.
Handheld frothers are the easiest kind to clean compared to electric models.
Many modern electric models boast dishwasher safe components, however, which makes them easier to clean now than ever before.
Types of Milk Frothers
Before you invest in a new milk frother, it is important that you know the difference between the three types that are on the market today.
Handheld Milk Frothers
Handheld milk frothers are basically battery operated whisks that you stick directly into a cup of milk in order to froth it. Think of it like a miniature immersion blender.
With handheld frothers, the whisk spins continuously while it whips milk.
- Handheld milk frothers are typically the most affordable models
- These frothers can also be used for light whisking jobs such as eggs, matcha, or salad dressings
- The resulting whipped milk is light and foamy with big bubbles (this is ideal for cappuccinos)
- These devices are easy to clean
- These frothers are battery operated and require changing the batteries quite often
- The batteries could die in the middle of frothing
- Since there is no lid, milk can splatter while being frothed
- This device cannot heat or cool milk
- Since this frother is less precise, it does not give the resulting milk much texture
If you are looking for a starter frother or have a very limited budget, a handheld frother is a great choice.
Automatic milk frothers are electrically powered jugs that include an induction whisk. These devices heat the milk and spins it for a smooth and even foam. Many models also have the ability to froth cold milk as well.
- Automatic milk frothers make better quality foam than handheld frothers do
- These frothers can heat up or cool down milk
- These devices are extremely easy to use; just add milk to the jug and push one button
- These frothers take up more counterspace than handheld frothers do
- Usually these appliances can only handle up to about eight ounces of milk at once
- Although some models are dishwasher safe, automatic milk frothers are typically more difficult to clean than handheld models are
If you are looking for a frother with more options than a handheld model can offer, go with an automatic milk frother.
Steam wands are typically built into expresso machines are are most commonly used in coffee shops because they are the best devices to steam milk and to give it a nice, silky texture.
Steam wands push steam through milk to create a fine, velvety foam.
- You can cusomise your milk for different types of specialty coffees with a steam wand
- Steam wands make the best microfoam for lattes
- Steam wands are the most expensive option when it comes to milk frothers
- Users need to be properly trained on the technique to use a steam wand
If you are a real coffee connoisseur, then consider getting an espresso machine with a steam wand for at home use.
Milk Frother FAQs
What does a milk frother do?
A milk frother whips up milk in order to create a rich, velvety foam for all sorts of specialty coffee drinks.
Foamy milk enhances the flavour and mouth feel of coffee drinks. With a milk frother, you can create barista quality coffee drinks from the comfort of your own home.
Is frothing milk and steaming milk the same thing?
Frothing and steaming are over all two different practices.
Steaming milk can only be accomplished with a steam wand. This is usually done with an espresso machine.
Frothing milk injects air into the liquid instead of steam. This creates ripples and bubbles within the milk for a delicious foam.
What kind of milk is the best for frothing?
For the most part, the best type of milk for frothing really depends on your own taste. Most milk frothers can accommodate all types of milks, including non dairy options.
Using whole milk results in a creamy, thick foam. Using low fat or skimmed milk creates a light and bubbly foam.
Almond milk and soy milk each produce a light, airy foam that is perfect for cappuccinos.
The Final Verdict
Our vote for the best milk frother is the Lavassa A Modo Mio Milk Easy frother.
This milk frother has the option to produce cold or hot foam, which gives you added versatility in the types of coffee drinks you can make at home.
One unique feature of this device is that all of the components are dishwasher safe, which makes cleanup a breeze.