The Best Multi-Cooker Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1 The Best Multi-Cooker Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Our Favourite Multi-Cooker (2020 Updated) -
- 1.2 Drew & Cole King Pro Electric Pressure Cooker (Editor's Choice)
- 1.3 Our Judgement - Which Multi-Cooker Is The Best For Cooking?
- 1.4 What To Look For In a Best Multi-Cooker? (Our Buying Guide)
- 1.5 What Is a Multi-Cooker?
- 1.6 What Are The Best Features To Consider In a Multi-Cooker?
- 1.7 What Are The Disadvantages & Advantages Of Buying a Multi-Cooker?
- 1.8 Tips & Tricks For Using a Multi-Cooker
- 1.9 FAQs
- 1.10 Our #1 Multi-Cooker For The Best Cooking Results
Multi-cookers are one of the most convenient kitchen appliances to have in your household. Not only are they super easy to use, but they can also do many different cooking functions all in one device such as; slow cook, fry, stew, or even bake.
These little instant pot multi-cookers also give the advantage of being able to keep food warm and allow you to decrease your cooking time in the kitchen dramatically.
However, these multi-cookers are also very popular on the market, and there are many different cookers to choose from as a result.
So with that being said, we have rounded up the best multi-cookers out there and compared them in efforts to help find the best multi-cookers for your kitchen.
Our Favourite Multi-Cooker (2020 Updated) -
Drew & Cole King Pro Electric Pressure Cooker (Editor's Choice)
This Drew & Cole pressure cooker is one of the more expensive models on our list, but we can see why due to its large 6L capacity and high ratings.
The pressure cooker features the ability to; fry, steam, cook rice and act as a slow cooker, it can also do many other functions with its 14 pre-set programs. It additionally has a 24-hour delay timer, re-heat function and a keep warm option for your meals.
Other notable specifications of this multi-cooker by Drew & Cole are its safety locking lid that only opens once the pressure is released in the cooker. The multi-cooker is also easy to clean thanks to its non-stick dishwasher safe pot.
There is a recipe book included with the cooker for inspiration.
To conclude, the Drew & Cole pressure cooker is one of the best models on our list due to its large capacity, numerous cooking functions and easy cleaning. This multi-cooker can act as a crock pot or even make jams all within one device.
This instant pot is also great as it speeds up cooking time and allows you to spend less time in the kitchen cooking.
On the other hand, this electric pressure cookers model doesn't come with many accessories like other best multi cookers on our list; it also has a dim display with no backlight.
- The multi-function pressure cooker can slow cook or even make yoghurt.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- Speeds up cooking time.
- Large 6L capacity.
- Reheat function and stay warm.
- 14 programmes.
- Doesn't include many accessories.
- Dim display.
Our Budget Alternative - Wahl James Martin Multi-Cooker
If you are looking for a budget multi-cooker model, it might be worth considering the Wahl James cooker. This multicooker comes with a 4L capacity and has six different functions for either; steaming, sauteing, stewing, rice cooking and desserts.
Design-wise this crock pot like instant pot has a non-stick inner pot with dishwasher-friendly parts. It also has an LED smart control with a 24-hour delay timer, adjustable cooking timer and a stay warm function.
The pressure cooker also comes with a recipe book to help you with cooking recipes in your one instant pot.
This Wahl James Martin multi cooker is ones of the best pressure cookers electric wise because of its affordable price and range of handy features. Its 4L capacity is also enough for an average-sized UK household.
The instant pot has all the features you need for pressure cooking like adjustable cooking time and a delay function.
Disadvantages of the James Martin instant pot are its non-stick coating on the inner pot which is reported to come off after long-term use. The model also may not be suitable for slow cooker recipes as an instant pot branded model would be.
- Very affordable with multi-functions.
- Big capacity.
- Easy to clean.
- Delay timer, keep warm and cooking timer functions.
- Not as good for pressure cooking and slow cooker recipes as other models on our list.
- The non-stick coating is reported to wear off quickly.
Ninja Foodi Electric Multi-Cooker [OP300UK]
The Ninja Foodi multi cooker model features a six-litre cooking pot and boasts seven multiple cooking functions such as; slow cook, air fry, pressure cooking, sautee, baking and grill.
Feature-wise this multi cooker comes with tender-crisp technology that allows you to crisp your food while pressure cooking, the model can also cook food from frozen and has 70% faster cooking time than traditional cookers.
Additionally, this multi cooker by Ninja Foodi also has a 3.6-litre cook and crisp pot with a reversible rack. There is also a pressure lid and crisping lid depending on how you want your food to turn out.
The design itself weighs 11kg and has a non-stick ceramic coating with safe dishwasher parts making it easy to clean. Its keep-warm function in this model can keep food warm for up to twelve hours after cooking.
Other notable extras of this multi-cooker are its easy-touch display that can choose eight pre-set programmes. It can also hold up to 1.1kg of french fries and comes with a recipe book for the slow cooker or pressure cook inspiration.
Overall, this multi-cooker by Ninja Foodi comes in a stylish black colour which can complement a variety of kitchens. The design itself is easy to clean with non-stick coating, and it has all the functions needed to cook a variety of meals.
This model is also great due to its air fryer, which can create healthy meals in one pot with much less fat.
Downfalls of this multi-cookers model are its size which can take up quite alot of room in your kitchen. The multicookers functions are also said to be complicated to use when cooking.
- The sleek black colour with easy to clean design.
- Seven different cooking functions.
- Large 6-litre capacity.
- Tender crisp technology.
- Keep warm function.
- Recipe book included.
- Bulky size takes up kitchen space.
- Functions can be complicated to use.
Tefal Multi-Cook Advanced 45-in-1 Multi-Cooker
Tefal is well-known in the kitchen appliance industry for producing some high-quality products. This affordable multi cooker, in particular, comes with 45 different programmes to choose from such as; soup, porridge, frying and slow cooking for rice.
Design-wise the one-pot is made from 2.5mm aluminium and has five layers of coating which are non-stick, the model also has micro pressure valves for better tasting food when cooking.
This Tefal multi-cookers model is also very user friendly due to its large LCD and transparent cooking window. The model also features; adjustable cooking times, a delay timer and a keep-warm function.
Its computerised microchip can also distinguish between different ingredients and adjust accordingly.
Extra accessories included with this multi-cooker are; a steam basket, rice spoon, soup spoon, measuring cup and a recipe book. There is also a two-year guarantee on the cooker.
This Tefal multi cooker is one of the best and most affordable cooking options on our list. This device has multiple different functions and a robust and durable design which could last for many years.
The appliance is also excellent due to its accessories and delay timer, which allows you to pre-set food to cook when you want.
However, on the other hand, the downfalls of this multi-cooker are that it doesn't have a pressure cooking option or a slow cooking option, the multi cooker also is reported to be challenging to use.
- Affordable with 45 functions.
- Comes with multiple accessories for cooking.
- It is made of strong material.
- Two-year guarantee.
- Delay timer and keep warm function.
- Large LCD.
- Material is said to hold smell.
- Lack of pressure cookers function.
- Difficult to use.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
The Instant Pot branded electric pressure cooker features seven different functions such as; slow cook, pressure cook, rice cooker, saute, yoghurt maker and a steamer.
This pressure cooker has 14 built-in programs to choose from when cooking; a dual pressure system, keep warm function and three different temperatures to choose from when slow cooking. It additionally has a capacity of either 3 litres, 5.7 or 8.
Furthermore, the design of this instant crock pot is made of a 3-ply stainless steel base and claims a lightweight of under 10kg. The design features an easy to use LCD too for setting programs.
There are also ten safety mechanisms included for peace of mind when pressure cooking or slow cooking.
Accessories included with this multi-cookers model are; a steam rack, serving spoon, soup spoon and a measuring cup.
To conclude, this pressure cookers model by Instant Pot is very affordable and has all the features you need to cook a variety of dishes within one pot.
The pressure cooker also doesn't weigh too much, making it more portable than other cookers on our list.
Some downfalls of this pressure cooker are its pressure cooker time, the device is reported to take at least 10 minutes to come to the right pressure and is not instant, therefore increases how long you spend cooking.
The keep-warm function is also reported to burn food at the bottom of the cooker.
- Pressure cooker system with multiple functions.
- Ten safety mechanisms.
- Durable stainless steel material.
- Easy LCD.
- Comes with accessories such as a measuring cup.
- Affordable price.
- Takes a while to come to pressure.
- Keep warm function burns base.
- Some models are reported to come faulty.
Our Judgement - Which Multi-Cooker Is The Best For Cooking?
Overall, the best multi cooker model on our list has to be the Drew & Cole King Pro Electric pressure cooker. This is due to its variety of functions and durable design; the cooker also has a large capacity making it perfect for bigger households.
As a more affordable alternative, we would also suggest the Wahl James Martin Multi-Cooker because of its easy to clean design and six different functions for cooking.
What To Look For In a Best Multi-Cooker? (Our Buying Guide)
Most multi-cookers are pretty similar in their designs; the majority feature one pot and can do standard functions such as; slow cooker, frying, baking and pressure cooking.
However, these appliances do differ in design and material, with some being more durable than others; they also vary in capacity and features.
We've put together our fool-proof buying guide below to help you find the top multi-cooker for your kitchen.
What Is a Multi-Cooker?
By now you've likely figured out a multi-cooker is an all in one device that can fit numerous cooking styles into one pot.
They contrast to more common appliances like slow cookers as they allow you also to fry, bake and do pressure cooking in the same pot.
Most devices additionally have features such as a stay warm function and delay timer, allowing you to have the freedom to do other things while your food stays hot in its instant pot.
What Is The Difference Between a Slow Cooker And a Multi-Cooker?
A crock pot and multi cooker differ in terms of cooking features but both base around one pot. Multicookers have much more adjustability and cook a wide range of meals, slow cookers, on the other hand, are much more traditional and are used to make stock, stews or chilis.
What Are The Best Features To Consider In a Multi-Cooker?
Multicooker models have many different features, so it can be challenging to know what's essential and what's not.
With so many models on the market too, it can be tricky to know what you want in your best multicookers model.
We've listed out the top features to consider below when looking for your multi cooker -
- Functions - This is probably the essential feature to consider, you need to know what features you want in your multi cooker so you can avoid buying the wrong one. If you are looking for a crock pot slow cooking feature or want to fry with your multi-cooker, make sure to look for these functions when purchasing.
- Size - Check the full size of your instant pot, it might take up more kitchen space than expected, so you need to consider whether the pot will fit on your counter space. You should also consider its weight, alot of instant pot models are very heavy so you want something you can move easily.
- Features - Useful features such as a stay warm option, delay function and re-heat options are excellent additions to have with your cooker.
- Capacity - You should consider how many people you will be feeding with your multi-cooker, alot of models have a 4L to 6L capacity, this is enough for most households.
- Cleaning - Make sure your instant pot has a non-stick material, otherwise cleaning could prove difficult, some models even have dishwasher-friendly parts.
- Accessories - Alot of electric multi-cookers come with accessories such as a recipe book, soup spoon or measuring cup, these are useful accessories to have, especially if your cooker is a higher price as it saves you from buying them separately.
- Warranty - Like all kitchen appliances, it's essential that your instant pot comes with a warranty, this ensures you are covered in case your model arrives faulty.
What Are The Disadvantages & Advantages Of Buying a Multi-Cooker?
There are many advantages to owning a multi-cooker, from quick recipes to more freedom, these crock pot style cookers allow you to have so much versatility with little time cooking.
Despite all the benefits, there are some disadvantages to using a multi-cooker that you might want to consider before investing in one.
- You can cook everything! - Multi-function models allow you to cook a variety of dishes in the same pot, from frying chips in an air fryer to cooking rice or slow stews. You can do it all.
- They speed up cooking time - The high pressure and heat can cook meats quickly, even tough ribs.
- Easy to clean - These stainless steel coated best multicookers are super easy to clean and save washing up, some parts are also dishwasher safe.
- They are safe - Many models come with temperature sensors and lid sensors to ensure everything is safe when cooking.
- You can use many different recipes - From slow cook lasagnas to popcorn, nowadays you can use these models for cooking multiple recipes thanks to its popularity.
- Keeps food warm - Most models come with the ability to keep your food warm till serving time, this a useful feature to have as it allows you to entertain friends and family while your food stays hot.
- Gives you more freedom - While your dinner is cooking all day, you can do other things without having to watch over the food.
- Better tasting food - Sauces and stews especially taste better when they have been cooking for longer. The long cooking time tends to bring out much more flavour in meats too.
- They can be complicated - With many different programmes, these devices are not simple to use and will take practice to figure out the best settings.
- It can hold smell - If you cook a curry in your cooker or something with a high amount of flavour, you might find the scent will linger on your devices lid and base, this can be annoying and taint the flavour of other meals you cook.
- You can't adjust while cooking - When the pressurised lid is on unfortunately you can't take it off until the cooking time is over, this means you can't add in any extra ingredients or spices as your meal cooks.
- They are bulky - These devices are heavy and oversized and will take up alot of space in your kitchen despite it being one pot.
- Needs time to come to pressure - Some models are not instant and can take up to 10 minutes to reach the required pressure for cooking.
Tips & Tricks For Using a Multi-Cooker
There are some tips and tricks you should consider when you buy your first best multi-cookers, this will ensure you can use your cooker to its full ability without any problems.
- Test your model first - Give your multicooker a test run with plain water; this will help you understand the pressure settings before adding food.
- Don't overfill your model - If you overload your cooker, you might risk damaging it, especially with foods that expand.
- Keep the pressure release clean - The pressure release can get bunged up quickly and will affect how your model works, so make sure to clean it regularly.
- Put enough liquid - You need to fill your cooker with enough liquid; otherwise, you risk food not cooking correctly or worse, the base of your model burning.
- Buy another lid - For slow cooking with a multicooker you should invest in another glass lid, this will help slow cook your food much better than with the standard cover your model comes with.
Is a multicooker healthy?
Yes, multi-cookers require much less oil, especially if you buy one with an air fryer. You can also steam vegetables and cook oats in one too, all of which are nutritious foods.
Can you roast food in a multicooker?
Some models do allow you to roast and slow cook meats, a model with a crispy option could also be great if you are looking for an authentic crispy skin on your roast chicken.
Are they difficult to use?
Cooking wise, no, these devices are not difficult to use as they cook for you. However, getting the settings right as a beginner can take some practice to work out.
What's the difference between a multi-cooker and a slow cooker?
They are similar in how they look, but a multicooker has many different functions, a slow cooker on the other hand only does one function and cant fry or bake etc.
Can you make a cake in a multicooker?
It's possible to make a cake in your model, some have baking options, or you can follow a recipe online.
Yes, that's one of the most significant benefits about buying a multicooker, they only use one large pan which is often non-stick too, this makes cleaning very easy, and other parts such as the lid can be put in the dishwasher.
How long can it keep food warm for?
Are they easy to clean?
It depends on your model, but some cookers can keep for warm for up to 4 hours or more.
Can I lift the lid while my food is cooking?
No, due to pressure cooking the lid will not open until the food is cooked through, so you should add all your spices and flavourings in before you start the timer.
Can I fry vegetables in a multicooker?
It depends on what kind of you model you have, but some cookers can fry or saute vegetables with their frying function, it's a good idea to check if your model has this feature before buying.
Is it better to cook rice in a multicooker or a rice cooker?
There's no difference, as long as you are familiar with the settings in both cookers the rice should turn out equally as good.
Can a multicooker replace an oven?
For some meals, it can, but the cooker may not be able to completely replace an oven due to its smaller size and lack of adjustability when cooking, an oven is also better for baking.
Our #1 Multi-Cooker For The Best Cooking Results
Our number one multi-cooker model is the Drew & Cole King Pro Electric pressure cooker. We chose this model as our top cooker because of its durable design and multiple functions.
This model is also the best due to its large capacity, which can make large batches of food at once.
For an affordable runner up, we suggested the Wahl James Martin Multi-Cooker because of its low price and easy to use design, making it perfect for medium-sized households and multicooker beginners.