Best Palm Sanders for at Home DIY
If you are in the market for a new palm sander, then chances are that you are a fan of at-home DIY. In the realm of household products that you should own, a palm sander is a must for anyone looking to tackle bigger contracting projects. Palm sanders are a great tool to have in your arsenal because they make smoothing surfaces easy by moving the sandpaper back and forth at high speeds. Owning your own electrical sander may feel a little bit intense, but rest assured, any at-home tinkerer or DIY expert needs a palm sander.
From paint jobs to refinishing an old piece of antique furniture, palm sanders are able to sand down any surface quickly and easily. It is important that you find the best palm sander to fit your needs, as it will make direct contact with your work space. There are a number of aspects to consider when buying a new palm sander.
- What kind of jobs will you be using it for?- If you know that you will be using a palm sander for small, at home DIY projects, you can probably get away with purchasing a smaller one. If you think you will be using it for large, heavy projects, then you may want to invest in a more powerful one.
- How big is too big?- You may be thinking that the bigger the sander, the better it is. This is not the case, however. Smaller sanders are typically easier to use and manage than bigger ones are.
Do not skimp on a palm sander! There are plenty of affordable ones that are good at what they do. Keep reading to see our top three picks for palm sanders.
Best in Show
Our pick for the best all-rounder palm sander is the Dewalt DWE6411. This small, yet powerful sander provides a sleek finish when used. It has a hook and look platen that lets you change the sand paper quickly and efficiently. In addition to this, the Dewalt DQE6411 comes with a spiked template. You can use this template for punching holes in otherwise solid sanding sheets to align them with dust extraction ports.
The paper clamps attached to the body of the sander are sturdy and reliable. This sander also comes with:
- A 240 Watt motor that allows it to sand at a speed of 14,000 orbits per minute.
- A textured anti-slip top and body grip that provides the user with both comfort and control, even when using it for an extended period of time.
- A sealed 100 percent ball-bearing construction which ensures that it will last as your primary sander for years to come.
- A large dust bag with a built-in vacuum adapter that is able to connect to a standard 35mm adapter.
- A dual plane counter-balance design which results in low vibration for a comfortable user experience.
- The sander sucks up dust as it sands, leaving little mess behind. It is easy to use and even easier to clean up afterwards.
- With a heavy and sturdy build, you can be sure that nothing rattles or breaks when you use it even on its highest setting.
- Since the sander comes with its own hole puncher, you do not have to splurge on pre-punched sand paper sheets. Instead, buy standard unpunched sheets and save yourself a little money.
- Some users have complained that it does not do such a great job stripping tough paint jobs. It is suggested that for these tough jobs, you use extra coarse sandpaper.
Purchase of this sander comes with the sander itself, one dust bag and built-in extractor, and one paper punch. The cord is 2.5 metres long, ensuring that you will always have enough length to tackle and size job. Weighing in at just 1.8kg, you will be able to take it almost anywhere with you.This electric palm sander is sure to get the job done quickly, easily, and efficiently.
Best for Small Hands
People of all sorts should be able to use palm sanders for whatever they chose, whether they be at home DIY projects or larger, more commercial endeavors. Many palm sanders that are on the market today may be great products, but are too large to be held comfortably in smaller hands. In this way, women have been accidentally excluded from contracting products simply because the equipment necessary is not suited to them.
The Makita BO4556 is changing this. The new slimline body of this particular palm sander allows it to have a smaller and more comfortable handgrip. This is a big plus for women who are in the market for a palm sander. You can use this sander for all sorts of projects; from sanding down furniture to craft activities, this sander can do it all. Because of its sleek, small design, it can also be used for an extended period of time. It is a lifesaver for professional decorators everywhere.
This palm sander comes with a number of features and advantages:
- The all ball-bearing construction of the body of this sander ensures reduced vibration and noise for a tranquil sanding experience.
- The contoured palm grip offers improved comfort and control for whoever is using the sander.
- It comes with large paper clamps for quick and easy sandpaper installation on the device.
- It comes with its own dust collection system for a clean and tidy workspace, no matter what project you happen to be working on.
- The on/off switch is in the perfect location for simple one-handed operation.
- This palm sander comes with a hole puncher for basic sandpaper sheets, which means that you do not have to spend more money on expensive, pre-punched sandpaper sheets.
- This sander is small enough to fit in the smallest of corners but is still big enough to sand door panels and similar larger areas as well.
- Some reviewers have noted that the power cord is too short and serves as a hindrance when working on larger projects.
- Some users have complained that the dust collector bag does not stay on the sander very easily.
- One critical reviewer has insisted that this sander is perfect for light jobs, but would not be powerful enough for more tough work.
All in all, the Makita BO4556 is a handy palm sander to have around the house for all projects, great and small. It is especially notable that the grip on this sander is small and ergonomically designed so that is is suitable to all hand sizes. From professional contractors to home DIY experts, all sorts will find this palm sander effective and easy to use.
If you are looking for a reliable cordless palm sander, then look no further than the Ryobi R18PS-0. With a 1.8mm orbital sanding motion, this palm sander is perfectly suited for light to medium applications like fine finishing and paint removal. With a sleek, compact design, this sander is easy to handle and will get the job done with ease.
This sander is cordless, so the battery needs recharging every now and again. This eliminates the need for wasteful one-use batteries and you are not restricted to the length of an electrical cord. The rechargeable battery needed for this sander also is compatible with all Ryobi products, so if you happen to have other Ryobi power tools, this will make a great addition to your set. This system eliminates the need for cumbersome power cords or numerous, clunky batteries for each of your different tools.
This particular palm sander comes with a number of features:
- Its triangular pad design allows you to sand anywhere, even in small corners and tight spaces.
- It has a quick fix hook and loop sanding sheet attachment which allows you to use virtually any sand paper you want.
- This new model comes with a number of features including Expand-It, auto shift, and touch start to suit any project you may be working on.
- Purchase of this sander also includes 6 sanding sheets of different grades, so you can get started on your projects straight away, even if you do not have any other sandpaper lying around.
- One charge of the battery lasts for nearly 40 minutes of sanding time.
- You are able to attach the sander to a vacuum for no mess and minimal fuss.
- The body of this sander is extremely lightweight, meaning that you can move it around with ease without a ton of effort on your part.
- Some reviewers have complained that the sander does not easily release the battery. Sometimes, you will have to use a screw driver or something of the sort in order to pry the battery pack off of the body of the palm sander.
- A number of users have noticed that the on/off switch is a bit sticky after it has been used for a while. Some have also said that the on/off switch is easy to accidentally press, which can get a bit annoying if it happens several times during any particular project.
Satisfied users have written that the size of the Ryobi R18PS-0 is perfect: it is small enough to comfortably fit in your hand but it is large enough to tackle big jobs like sanding down window sills and doors. For occasional DIY use, this palm sander ticks all of the boxes. If you foresee yourself using a sander for small jobs around the house, then this affordable sander will do the trick. If you are in the market for a tool to do some more heavy-duty jobs, then perhaps you will want to invest in a larger, more powerful one.