The Best Portable Air Conditioner Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1 The Best Portable Air Conditioner Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Our Top Portable Air Conditioner! -
- 1.2 The Devola Comfee Portable Air Conditioner (Editor's Choice)
- 1.3 Our Judgement - Which Portable Air Conditioning Unit Is The Best?
- 1.4 What To Look For In a Portable Air Conditioning Unit (Buying Guide)
- 1.5 What Is a Portable Air Conditioner Unit?
- 1.6 What's The Difference Between a Single Hose Unit And a Dual Hose Unit?
- 1.7 Best Features To Consider In a Portable Air Conditioner Unit
- 1.8 What Are The Benefits Of Using Best Portable Air Conditioners
- 1.9 How To Maintain a Portable Air Conditioner
- 1.10 FAQs
- 1.11 Our #1 Portable Air Conditioner For Cooling you Down
Having a portable air conditioner during the hot summer is an affordable and effective way to keep yourself cool when you move around in your home.
These portable air conditioners are not only very energy efficient but can save you a large amount of money rather than investing in a whole-home unit.
However, individual portable air conditioners differ in alot of features such as; fan rates, noise levels and exhaust hoses, making it challenging to figure which air conditioning unit is suitable for you.
We've rounded up the best portable air conditioners below and reviewed/compared them to help find the right air conditioning model for you.
Our Top Portable Air Conditioner! -
The Devola Comfee Portable Air Conditioner (Editor's Choice)
The Devola portable air conditioner highlights a 12,0000 BTU with oscillating louvres and can cool down rooms with a size of 28 Sqm.
Feature-wise the portable air conditioner comes with a cooling fan and dehumidifier functions, along with three different fan speeds that can help reduce noise at night.
This air conditioning unit further has a class A energy efficency rating for eco-friendly cooling capacity. It can also be connected to Wi-fi app and is compatible with Amazon Alexa for voice control.
Other notable specifications of this portable model are its all day timer and sleep function which can be set via its LCD panel.
The unit includes a 1.5m exhaust hose too, along with a window venting kit and castor wheels for moving the unit. It also has a 2-year warranty for buyers confidence.
Overall, this portable air conditioner by Devola is one of the most reliable air conditioning units we have on our list.
The model has easy installation thanks to its exhaust hose and window kit and is simple to use due to its Wi-fi connection which allows you to set the fan speed and all daytimer from your phone.
Downfalls of the portable unit have to be its heavyweight which makes it much less mobile. The conditioning unit also is reported to have some issues with Wi-fi connection.
- Powerful cooling capacity for medium-sized rooms.
- Three different fan speeds with the low noise level.
- Window kit and hose included.
- Wi-fi connectivity and LCD.
- 24-Hour timer and sleep function.
- Heavyweight means lack of portability.
- Unstable Wi-fi connectivity.
Our Second Choice - The Igenix IG9911 Portable Air Conditioner
This Igenix portable air conditioner is one of the most affordable units on our list and comes with 9000 BTU, allowing it to extract hot air from medium-sized rooms of around 20 squared metres.
Feature-wise the portable air conditioner is a 3 in 1 model that has; dehumidifier functions, cooling functions and fan functions all in one unit. Its dehumidifier can extract up to 27 litres of excess water per day.
The fan additionally comes with three-speed settings and can be adjusted via its remote control or LCD.
Overall, this affordable portable air condition by Igenix is excellent value for money.
It has a high BTU for its price and can cool down a room very quickly thanks to its fan speed. Its dehumidifier function is also useful to extract moisture in the air.
Downfalls of this portable model have to be its design which has been reported to come faulty on a few models and leak water below the unit.
- Very low priced with relilable build.
- Extracts warm air and can dehumidify medium-sized rooms.
- Three fan speed settings.
- Remote control included.
- LCD which displays the temperature.
- Some faulty models are reported to leak water under the unit when in use.
Pro Breeze 4-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
The Pro Breeze portable air conditioner comes with 7000 BTU and can cool down rooms in your home to 15 degrees.
Main features of the unit are it's a class A energy efficency rating and four multi-purpose operating modes that consist of; fan speeds, energy-saving mode, dehumidifier mode and auto air cooling.
This portable model also has a digital LED display and wireless remote control for controlling the unit plus its 24-hour timer and adjustable temperature.
The model can also be moved around easily due to its four wheels, and it's conditioners air unit can be installed quickly too due to its window kit included.
This energy-efficient portable air conditioner by Pro Breeze is a great portable unit for cooling down a small room in the summer.
It's easy to use thanks to its remote control and has useful features such as its 24-hour timer.
Negatives of this portable unit have to be its noise which is said to be very loud and can effect sleeping at night by keeping you awake.
- Very energy efficient.
- LED display and a 24-hour timer.
- Can move easily due to 4 wheels.
- Remote control for adjusting the unit.
- Four operating modes.
- Loud noise level which can make the unit problematic to use at night.
Olimpia Splendid 1961 01961 Dolceclima Portable Air Conditioner Unit
This Olimpia Splendid portable air conditioner features a high cooling capacity of 10,000 BTU and uses eco-friendly cooling gas to tackle hot air.
The air conditioner most importantly comes with a high energy efficency and has five functions to choose from on its device; fan, dehumidification, turbo, sleep and auto.
Its air conditioner additionally features remote control and digital touch display. It can be moved from room to room thanks to its ergonomic handles and wheels, and it has a filter inside the unit to extract dust out of your air.
Measurements of the air conditioner unit come in at 70cm height and 35cm width, making it very compact.
If your looking for a very compact portable unit, the Olimpia Splendid is one of the best portable units to consider.
Its model has a high cooling capacity and could cool your 80-metre square room efficiently, this unit is also super easy to move to other places due to its small size and wheels.
However, this air conditioner does have some downfalls; for example, the air conditioner is said to be very noisy when running and needs to be drained often.
- Eco-friendly design with high BTU.
- Suitable for medium-sized rooms.
- Five functions, such as dehumidifier and sleep mode.
- Remote control with LCD.
- Very noisy.
- Needs often draining per hour.
Pifco P40013 Portable 3-In-1 Air Conditioner
The Pifco portable air conditioner comes with a 3 in one function of; dehumidifying, breeze modes and a 2-speed fan system. It also has an output of 9000 BTU.
Feature-wise, the model, has temperature settings which vary from 18-32 degrees combined with a water tank and indicator to show you when the tank needs emptying.
It additionally comes with a timer and remote control to set the unit with and has an energy-saving sleep mode for using the unit at night. The venting kit is included with the model itself and also has a removable filter.
Castor wheels and a carry handle are included on the unit for portability with auto shut off and overheating safety features. There is a one-year guarantee included with unit too.
This Pifco air conditioner is one of the best portable air conditioners our list thanks to its water tank system which allows you to drain the conditioner less often.
It also comes with excellent safety features for peace of mind when cooling your home down and is very easy to use thanks to its remote control and adjustable temperature.
Negatives of this air conditioner have to be its fan and cooling system which is said to provide no cold air and have weak performance in hot temperatures.
- 3 in 1 air conditioner unit.
- Adjustable temperature.
- Water tank.
- Venting kit included for easy set-up.
- Portable due to handle and castor wheels.
- Low cooling performance.
Our Judgement - Which Portable Air Conditioning Unit Is The Best?
Overall, to round up our air conditioners, the best portable air conditioner on our list has to be the Devola Comfee Portable Air Conditioner.
This is due to its modern design that features W-fi connectivity and high 12,000 BTU for better cooling in your room.
The model is additionally very energy efficient and has variable fan speed which allows you to use this model at night.
Its unit is also one of the only air conditioning units that are suitable for medium-large sized rooms.
For another choice, we would also recommend the Igenix IG9911 Portable Air Conditioner; this model is excellent thanks to its professional dehumidifier function and affordable price.
What To Look For In a Portable Air Conditioning Unit (Buying Guide)
You might be wondering what features a best portable air conditioner have and what you need to be looking out for when shopping for your model.
There are also several benefits of owning a portable unit that you may not have considered.
We've put together our best buying guide below to help you with everything you need to know about portable air conditioners.
What Is a Portable Air Conditioner Unit?
A portable unit can cool down your rooms in your home efficiently during warm summer months and are said to save energy in comparison to whole house units.
The main goals of these units are to cool rooms down and remove any humidity with there humidifiers.
How Do These Air Conditioner Units Work?
Understanding the ins and outs of how portable air conditioning works can be a little complicated, so we will try our best to simplify it down.
These units consist of three main parts; the refrigerant, compressor and fan.
- Firstly, the fan of the unit sucks hot air and any humidity inside of the room into your conditioner.
- This hot air is then cooled by the units cold coil where the hot air condenses, and moisture is removed. The heat of this is then transferred to the refrigerant to produce gas.
- Colder air will then come back into your room, and any moisture will either be taken outside through your devices vent or collected in a tank for you to drain.
- The refrigerants gas is further compressed on the coils, and the hot air is then taken through the exhaust hose via a window.
- This continues until your room is cooled enough for your liking.
What's The Difference Between a Single Hose Unit And a Dual Hose Unit?
Most commonly, portable units come with single hoses; however, dual hose models tend to be more energy-friendly and have a quicker cooling time.
We've listed out each type of model below with their advantages and disadvantages.
Single Hose Unit
These units are most commonly found on the market and are much cheaper than dual-hose models.
Single hose units operate by sucking the hot air away from your room and taking it outdoors either via a hole in the wall or typically a window.
- Cheaper and more variety on the market.
- Easy to set up.
- Great for smaller rooms.
- Not very energy-friendly.
- Take longer to cool a room.
- Creates a negative pressure which attracts warm air from other places, meaning you have to keep the door closed in the room you are cooling.
Dual Hose Unit
A dual hose portable unit is typically more expensive than single-hose unit and can cool down your home faster.
They operate by using two hoses; one for bringing fresh air in from outdoors and the other to extract warm air in the room.
- Energy is highly efficient.
- Keeps air pressure inside the room you are cooling.
- Quick cooling time in rooms.
- Few on the market due to complicated design.
- Hard to set up and larger.
Best Features To Consider In a Portable Air Conditioner Unit
There are many different features you should be looking out for in the best air conditioner; from timers to BTU, and fan speeds.
You need to familarise yourself with you are looking for in the best unit.
We've put together the essential features to be looking out for in a best portable air conditioner below -
- Modes - Your best conditioner air model should come with modes for cooling your room, such as a dehumidifier and sleep mode, which can be used at night.
- Fan speed - Having different fan speeds allows you to change how cool you want your portable air conditioners model to be performing. Your model should have at least three different fan speed options to choose from.
- BTU - BTU means British thermal units, these units will determine the space your air conditioners model can cool. The higher the BTU, the larger the room it can cool down. For a 500 square foot room, you should be looking for a model with at least 10,000 BTU.
- Timer - The best air conditioners will have a timer that allows you to schedule when you want your air conditioner to turn on and cool down a room.
- Remote control function - Not always do you feel like getting up the sofa to change settings on your air conditioner so having a remote allows you to control your portable air conditioner while relaxing.
- Noise level - Portable air conditioners tend to be a little noisy due to how they operate with their fans; if you want to avoid a noisy unit in your home then check how many decibels the unit is before buying.
- Set-up - Whenever you place your air conditioner, you need to make sure there is a window and a power supply, the best air conditioners will have a hose and window kit included for easy set-up.
- Drainage - You can either buy a portable air conditioners model that is self-evaporating and requires no manual drainage or a more affordable air conditioners model that includes a tank for you to empty now and then.
- Warranty - As with every electrical appliance, it's a good idea to ensure your best portable air conditioner comes with a warranty in case of a faulty air conditioner.
- Single hose or dual? -If you have a small room, you are on a budget and want the best compact portable air conditioners model to help cool down your room, go for a single hose unit. If you have a larger space and are looking for a more eco-friendly unit, it's worth considering a dual hose air conditioner.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Best Portable Air Conditioners
There are many benefits to owning the best portable air conditioners model
For example, they are very energy efficient and easy to use, allowing you to cool down multiple rooms in your house thanks to their compact design.
You can also get various other benefits from using a portable air conditioner in your home -
- Easy to set up - There's pretty much no intensive installation required when setting up your air conditioners model, all you need to do is place the hose outside a window and plug the model in to start cooling your room.
- Energy efficiency - Portable units have a much lower running cost that central AC units due to them cooling a small area of your home that your in and not wasting any energy.
- Portable - Best portable air conditioners come with handles and castor wheels so as you can move your unit from room to room.
- Helps dehumidify - One of the most significant benefits of a portable ac is that they have a dehumidifier function along with the air conditioner, helping to reduce allergies.
- Low in cost - These best portable air conditioner units have a lower price than central air conditioner models and are great for people in rental homes who want to keep their room cool during the summer.
Disadvantages Of a Portable Air Conditioner
Portable air conditioners also have some downfalls you should be aware before using this type of cooling system.
- They tend to be very noisy and can be hard to sleep with on at night.
- A dehumidifier means you will need to drain your model often; this can be a tiring task depending on if your air conditioner has a tank or not.
- It can be hard setting up wise as you have to find a place with a socket and a window near each other, its not advisable to plug these kinds of air conditioners into an extension cord.
How To Maintain a Portable Air Conditioner
Portable air conditioners do require some maintenance to make sure they run smoothly and last for a long time.
We've listed out some of the essential tips below for keeping your model in the best shape possible -
- Clean and replace your filters - The filter of your air conditioner will determine the quality of the air your unit produces. If you let dust and debris build up on your filter, you can end up damaging your machine and having dusty cool air blow out into your room. If your filter is washable, you should use a brush to take off any dust then wash it with clean water. Some filters, however, need to be replaced entirely.
- Check the condenser coils - You can keep your condenser coils clean with a coil cleaning solution, these coils can be very expensive to replace in a unit so its essential you keep them in the best condition possible.
- Keep the exterior clean - Use a damp cloth to wipe any dirt or dust off from your unit; don't use harsh chemicals as this could damage the design of the unit.
- Make sure to drain the water - If you have a tank without a hose connection, your unit may need manually draining more often. This is important to remember so as the liquid from your model can't become overfull and leak.
- Keep your hose straight - Keep your exhaust hose straight and short, this can prevent moisture from building up inside the hose and damaging the unit, plus bending and stretching your hose is likely to make the cooling process less efficient and can damage your hose over time.
- Store it right - Once the warm summer has ended its crucial your store your unit right. This involves cleaning your filters and model then storing it away from direct sunlight and dust when not in use.
- Only use it clean rooms - Dusty areas can damage the machine and filter, too humid rooms will also contribute to moisture build-up meaning your unit will need to be drained frequently.
Can you sleep with the portable air conditioning on?
You can sleep with your air conditioner; however, the noise could be too loud for you to sleep. It might be better to cool your room down to a comfortable temperature before sleeping then turn off the device while your sleeping.
If you do choose to sleep with your air conditioner on its essential that it comes with a dehumidifier so as it doesn't dry out the air too much while you are asleep as this could cause potential breathing problems.
How noisy are these models?
Air conditioner models all tend to be a little noisy no matter which model you buy; however, some models are a little less loud than others.
You can look for a low dB level to ensure you model will not be too noisy in your room.
Can you adjust the temperature on these air conditioners?
Yes, most models come with a remote control so as you can select your desired temperature and fan speeds comfortably from your sofa.
Some even have Wi-fi connectivity which allows you to use your smartphone as a remote control.
How often do you need to drain these air conditioners?
This depends on the humidity of your space and the size of your air conditioners tank. However, they shouldn't need emptying more than once every 8 hours.
How long does it take to cool a small bedroom?
This depends on the exact size of your place and how many BTU your conditioner has, but on average, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes for you to feel a noticeable temperature difference.
Do they consume alot of electricity?
Compared to central AC systems, no, portable air conditioners are extremely energy efficient and use much less energy than other methods.
A dual-hose system is also a very enviro-friendly model if your budget allows it.
What is a BTU?
BTU refers to British Thermal Unit. This is a measurement of energy.
Are they better to use than central air conditioning systems?
This depends on what you want; if you are looking for a way to cool your whole house, then a central air conditioning system will be the better choice.
If you have a small room you need cooling then a portable air conditioner would be much more suitable and energy-efficient.
Where should I put my air conditioner unit?
You should set-up your model near a window with a power source; the surface below should preferably be a hardwood floor.
Can I lengthen the exhaust hose of my air conditioner?
No, it's not recommended to try and lengthen the hose of your air conditioners as this can cause the model to perform ineffectively and damage any warranty that comes with your model.
How do I make the noise quieter?
You can try putting your model on top of a rug on a hardwood floor. This will reduce the vibrations from the compressor and fans. Switching your model to a lower fan speed can also help decrease noise.
Can they cool more than one room at the same time?
This depends on the BTU rating of your model and the openness of your home. If your home has lots of walls and doors, you will not feel a cooling effect in multiple rooms.
However, if you have a more open-plan set-up and a powerful model, you could potentially cool down multiple rooms at the same time.
Do they give off carbon monoxide?
No, these models will not give off carbon monoxide into your home, this could only be in rare cases if it was located next to a car for example.
Can I set a timer on my model?
Yes, some of the best air conditioners come with a timer so as you can schedule the model to cool down your room at specific times each day.
Do I need to change the filter on my model?
If your filter is washable, you will need to make sure you wash it often and clear any dust and debris off the filter to ensure it keeps working correctly.
Some models may require you to buy a whole new filter completely.
How do you move a portable model to a different room?
Most models come with castor wheels and a handle to help you move your air conditioner to a different room. If your planning to move it upstairs, this may require a helping hand.
Our #1 Portable Air Conditioner For Cooling you Down
Our number one portable air conditioner to keep you cool during the hot summer months is the Devola Comfee Portable Air Conditioner.
This is because of its high BTU, which makes it suitable for use in larger rooms and it's Wi-fi connectivity which can turn your phone into its remote control.
We also recommend checking out the Igenix IG9911 Portable Air Conditioner due to its affordable price and dehumidifier function, allowing you to extract moisture out of your air easily.