Short on time? Here's our pick;
- ♥[2400W＆ EASY TO OPERATE]-CUSIMAX 2400W Double Burner is equipped with 1200W and 1200W heating elements and a separate variable temperature dial, which can simultaneously meet different cooking needs. Individual 7 thermostatically controlled heating settings provide prefect temperature for your cooking from boil to simmer as well as can be used as food warmer or slow cooker.
- ♥[WORKS WITH ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE]-CUSIMAX ceramic hot plates are compatible with all types of cookware. Can be used with all types of cookware with a diameter of 18CM. Working with glass and aluminum cookware can effectively reduce heat loss. Suitable for boiling or slow simmering, and can also be used as food heating or slow cooker.
- ♥[PORTABLE AND COMPACT]-CUSIMAX hot plate is suitable for various places. It can be an extra cooking tool in your kitchen. It can be used around the family kitchen, garden, workplace or RV, or even camping, thereby increasing the flexibility of the kitchen. Provide you with a variety of cooking conveniences.
- ♥[SAFE AND EASY TO Clean]-Black Stainless steel body built to withstand frequent use. The heated surface of crystal glass is smooth and easy to clean. After use, wait for cooling, just wipe with a clean cloth. With anti-skid feet, it can ensure the stability of the hot plate and prevent the electric stove from moving during the cooking process.
- ♥[EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE]-CUSIMAX OFFER A OUTSTANDING 30-DAY HASSLE-FREE RETURN POLICY. We will provide the best service and reply within 24 hours. You are entitled to a FULL refund within the first 30 days! (Note: Do not touch the main body of the burner during use, because the surface of the burner is made of stainless steel, which will cause heat conduction. The smoke during initial use is due to the consumption of the protective coating, which is normal.)
The Best Portable Electric Hob for 2020
- 1 The Best Portable Electric Hob for 2020
- 2 Andrew James Portable Electric Hot Plate
- 3 Oypla Ceramic Infrared Electric Double Hot Plate
Electric technology has grown increasingly popular since 2019, so we decided to try and test out some of the latest and newest portable electric hobs for your home, for your next 2020 purchase.
Many brands often make these quite compact too, which is great for those who live in apartments. The pinnacle of modern design, however, has reinvented the induction hob 'portable' aspect. You can now take your whole hob on the go, making it a great choice for road trips.
Read on to learn about our recommendations for the best portable induction hob models on the market.
Cusimax Ceramic Double Electric Hob
Cusimax is no stranger to the world of modern technology, as shown by their existing range of cutting-edge, modernistic cookware. Many youtube cooking channels can be seen using portable cooking appliances, thus resulting in an increase in the popularity of portable induction hob models and portable electric hob models.
We love the simple, clean, and minimalist design of this product- in fact, it's the face of their website too. This double electric hob is Cusmiax's bestseller currently, so grab yourself a bargain by purchasing yours off of Amazon for next day delivery- we got ours here.
What We Love:
- Compact: We love how minuscule and compact this hob is for the kitchen when it comes to being portable, this hob is a winner. When we asked twenty of our colleagues on what factors they consider the most important when shopping for a portable induction hob, they rated the portable aspect of the product first. Not even price- so this is a feature that really pushes the Cusimax Double Electric hob forwards in the market.
- Indicators: We love how user-friendly this portable electric hob is- with bright, vivid neon power indicators to tell you when the device is on.
- Secure: The feet are rubber coated, to ensure that they remain securely fixed in place- whichever surface they're on. We find that these work best on hard, shiny/glossy surfaces, less on matte surfaces. In addition, for an added layer of security, you get to experience the benefit of overheating protection- so you don't need to worry about scalds.
- Easy Wipe-Clean: The stainless steel housing/body of the cooking plate / hot plate on this portable electric induction cooking hob is easy to clean. Many brands offer a wipe-clean cooking plate to make the product easy to clean for buyers. We highly recommend this if you're someone in a rush, or simply don't like excessive cleaning requirements.
- Innovative: With crystalline glass heating technology, you can quickly and efficiently heat up very large pots, respectively within the size dimensions of 18 and 18cm (for even, consistent heating).
- Temperature Control: This electric hob gives you complete control by letting you adjust the dials to select your perfect, preferred heat level. In addition, you can activate settings such as slow cooking, food warm (keeping the hob warm to ensure food warm enough to eat straight away), and simmering- to recreate popular, new recipes online.
- 30-Day Cusimax Money-back Guarantee for a risk-free purchase
Value for Money: 8.5/10
Aobosi Double Induction Hob
Aobosi is representative of the latest technology, as they merge new innovation with traditional products. One product which we are hoping to purchase and review is their 12-in-1 programmable toaster oven, which is an absolute tech-beast in itself!
The product we reviewed is their double induction hob, which features a ceramic crystal plate for a truly luxurious, qualitative feel to the appliance. It is also highly energy-efficient, great for adjustability and customisation during use, and to top it off- it's priced affordably!
We purchased ours on Amazon because it was the cheapest price on the market at the time, however much to our dismay/bad luck (and your pleasure!), the price has been further reduced on Amazon. You can now pick this electric hob up for even cheaper.
What We Love:
- Adjustable Touch, Time, and Temperature: There is a wide range of tasks you can complete with this product, whether that's preparing a large meal, unfreezing produce, reheating leftovers, or simply making a basic quick-dish, this induction hob is a great choice. The temperatures range between 60℃ and 240℃, which is very versatile compared to other models we have tried. The timer allows you to select up to 180 minutes, which means you can easily go about your other daily tasks without having to constantly check (or forget) your food.
- Independent Cooking Zones: There are two differentiated, practical cooking zones that are independently controlled. This means you can multitask and cook two meals at once. Not only will this drastically cut your overall cooking time, but you can also keep an eye on your dishes simultaneously.
- Space-efficient: While it does have increased functionality by offering you a dual-hob space to cook, the overall product is very compact for the value it offers.
- Easy to Clean: The surfaces are made of polished, scratch-resistant glass-ceramic which is super easy to wipe clean. The only downside of this is that it can be heavy to hand wash, for those who don't have dishwashers or just prefer to wash with their hands.
- Easy Power: By continuously clicking the touch LED display, accessing minimum/maximum power can be a task when using most portable hobs. This one by Aobosi features a simple "min/max" button which allows you to activate these modes in one-touch.
Value for Money: 8.5/10
VonShef Twin Induction Hob
We've tried and tested a load of products from Vonshef on our site, and many of them have made their way onto our top-performers category, where we write comprehensive guides on the best products. Check out our site for a read on our top-6 and top-3 articles where we grade, criticise and bring to you the cream of the crop in the world of electrics and home items.
The Vonshef Twin Induction hob is a beautifully designed, sleek, and classic looking machine which delivers highly for functionality, at a reasonable price. We love the clear, bright, and sharp display which this hob has to offer us- one of its core stand-out features.
What We Love:
- Premium Gear: This is a ceramic range of cooking hobs, which offers luxury at a very compact set of dimensions. When you hold the product, you can clearly feel the quality. The size is perfect for campervans, student accommodation rooms, smaller living spaces such as apartments, caravans, or just busy kitchens. It plays great as an extra hob, as it can easily sit on your counter while the other hobs are occupied.
- Ceramic Plates: The plates used for this double hot hob are made of scratch-resistant ceramic which can be wiped clean easily with a damp cloth. This is advantageous in the event of dealing with spillages, or pans which accidentally boiled over.
- LED Display and Timer: The built-in timer allows you to schedule cooking for up to three hours, which prevents food from overcooking. The LED display screen makes the panel really easy to use, and best of all it is highly energy-efficient, making it kind to the planet as well as your wallet.
- Adjustable Heat Settings: There are a total of ten heat settings on this hot plate which range between 60℃ and 240℃, which is super varied and personalisable. Due to this, you have the ability to complete whatever cooking task you want, including reheating and defrosting. Only use this hob with induction pans.
- 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
Value for Money: 8/10
Andrew James Portable Electric Hot Plate
This hot plate is both minimalist and elegant, as well as extremely affordable. We love how sleek and modern it looks, as well as being super easy to clean! The surfacing and body is all made of stainless steel, which makes the cleaning process really simple and hassle-free.
This hob is also very light, making it a great choice for portability and convenience.
What We Love:
- Extremely Portable: Due to its lightweight, you can carry this thing pretty much as easily as a laptop. This makes it great for those who are traveling light. Many people love portable hobs due to the fact that they can use them in self-catered holiday homes, where they are limited with options on cooking.
- Heat Conduction: The body of this hot plate is made of stainless-steel, a popular material that companies use for the housing as it has good thermal conductivity and is also super easy-to-clean.
- Variable Heat: You can alter the heat of this hob too, using the thermostatic knob. This allows you to boil, simmer, fry, and reheat! The dual hob comprises two die- cast iron hot plates (this material is great for hot plates because of the sturdiness) which are approximately 19 centimetres in diameter.
- Safe: The induction hob is equipped with rubber feet which act as solid preventative measures in stopping the hot plate from slipping. The portable hot plate is compliant with the latest safety requirements to protect the user by minimising surface heat.
- Affordability: Another positive aspect about this product is the comparatively low price; many cooktops are quite expensive for what this product offers us. It is worth noting that this affordable price doesn't compromise the functionality or performance power of the actual machine. the electric burners with cast iron cooktops are less expensive than those with induction or glass-ceramic cooking surfaces. Yet, an affordable price of an electric burner with cast iron cooking plates does not compromise performance and usability.
- 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
Value for Money: 9.5/10
Oypla Ceramic Infrared Electric Double Hot Plate
As long as you have a plug socket, you'll be able to cook whatever you like, whenever you like- for only a one time purchase of about £35. In terms of value/functionality balance, this electric hot plate is a great option. There are fully adjustable heat control settings / temperature control, as well as a compact design- this double hot plate is everything we need.
The best thing about this particular cooking hot plate is that it heats up really fast, which means you can massively slash your cooking times. In addition, the fast heat technology proves this ceramic cooking hot plate to be extremely energy-efficient.
You also get to benefit from overheating protection, for that extra level of security. The housing is also really easy to wipe down and clean- you just need a damp cloth.
What We Love:
- Reliable for Temporary Use: Most of the time, people purchase portable electric hob cookers as a secondary hob to their fixed kitchen ones, and they're usually for travel use. For this reason, they deliver on short usage bursts and will be a reliable product to use on the go.
- Fully Adjustable: You can fully personalise the heat levels and power settings you wish to use for this hob, accessible with the dual temperature controls.
- Safe: Not only does this induction cooker use non-slip, grip rubber feet, there is also excellent overheating protection to ensure that you are safe when using these hobs.
- Speedy: One thing which stood out particularly with this model of induction hobs is that it heats up really fast. This is great for people who are in a rush to go to work or do the school run, as you can cook your food quicker than before.
- Powerful: This induction cooking hob / electric hob has 2000 watts power, which means that this induction cooker packs a real punch- a large use of power! This is great, as it fuels the ability to cook your food faster.
Value for Money: 9/10
How do Induction Hobs Work?
What is an induction hob, firstly? Unlike electric hobs, an induction hob has coils underneath the (often steel) surface that induce electrical currents to generate and apply heat to the metal object. It consumes less energy than other types of hobs, as it remains cool until you physically place the pan on top.
An alternating current (or AC current) flows through the coil, which creates a magnetic field. A resistive electric current is then induced, thus flowing into the cookware. The cookware is made of magnetically-conductive and ferromagnetic material, which is creat for carrying heat consistently to evenly distribute it.
What to Consider before Buying a Portable Electric Hob
When looking online or in-store to get your next kitchen appliance, there are various factors and categories you should take into account to determine whether or not you're making a good purchase.
Firstly, consider the company/brand that you're going to get your product from- how specialised are they in that particular product? Specialised companies will often make a particular product the best out there- so try looking for product-specific companies. For example, when buying a fridge, Hotpoint is quite renowned (in many kitchen categories, but famously for fridges).
Secondly, consider the price and compare it to the value offered. If there are a large number of features, it can be good or bad. Most likely, if you come across a product which is surprisingly cheap in comparison to the dozen of features it offers, it's probably not going to be a high-quality and worthwhile purchase.
Thirdly, consider the material. Stainless steel is a great choice for people who want the task of cleaning to be easier- stainless steel is an easy-wipe surface. Ceramic has a heavier, more luxurious feel, however,, it can chip easily and is harder to clean due to the added weight. Many are also not dishwasher-friendly. Plastic is a good choice in terms of convenience, but unlike stainless steel and glass, it is more damaging to the environment.
Similarly, when selecting a portable induction cooking hob or electric hob, portable ones that is, there are more specialised functions you need to add to the search to filter down the best products.
First and foremost, the product needs to be portable! Stainless steel cooking hobs are a great balance between luxury and portability. Second, it needs to be able to conduct heat well- hence the rise in popularity of steel and cast iron induction hob choices (due to their optimal temperature conductivity). Third, it needs to be easy to clean- hobs are heavy, so a lightweight product is a great feature to have with an induction hob.
What Makes a Good Portable Electric Hob?
The next factors of an induction or electric hob are also very important in further narrowing down your choices to help select the best hob out there:
- Size: If you have a budget that allows it, consider opting for dual-compartment hobs. These allow you to multitask- you can cook two different meals at once, as each half is individually controlled; just like your traditional kitchen unit hobs.
- Controls: Ensure that the control panel on your induction or electric hob allows for as much personalisation room as possible. Generally, there are three types of control panels available for all induction cooking hobs: button-press control, touch sensor, and dial-control. All of these are very useful, however the most popular (and most expensive) is touch-sensor control. These often come in the form of touchscreen menus- which are becoming further integrated into modern kitchen appliances. A good control panel should allow you to access power settings, temperature controls, and alter preset settings.
- Electric Consumption Display: These are overlooked features in hobs, and while they aren't crucial, it's a very insightful tool to help you better manage energy and costs. A voltage display and electrical consumption display set of categories are excellent, however, they are usually part of the touch-screen type induction cooking hob models - meaning they will be pricey. Being conscious of the amount of power your appliances use will help you budget well, and save more electricity too.
- Auto Switch-Off: A very useful and important safety feature that many companies are integrating into their product designs are auto switch-off features. This mechanism enables the induction cooker to automatically turn itself off in the event of overheating, or when cookware is removed from the surface. Smart, huh? Some models have auditory alerts that beep to inform you when this process is happening. The induction cooker can be completely switched off using the power button.
- Auto Heat-Up: Another very useful feature of modern-day induction and electric cookers is the booster/auto heat-up capability. Auto heat-up sets the cooking zone to a higher heat setting and automatically lowers the heat to a certain preset heat level after a set amount of time. A good example is for the boiling of rice, where you first need to bring the pot to a boil, followed by gentle simmering.
Pros and Cons of Induction Cooking
Induction-cooking is a relatively new method of cooking in comparison to traditional hob cooking. Hot plates are used, where the "cooking zones" (separate compartments) can be changed individually. There are loads of designs out there, including steel, ceramic, cast iron, and more.
The advantages of induction-cooking include energy efficiency, faster cooking time, comfortable use, safer use, portable, and easy to clean. Cleaning traditional hobs is a pain, where you need to remove the rack and clean both the hob, rack and central conduction/gas plates individually.
People are also more environmentally conscious, and also more money-conscious, so they are making wiser purchases for their homes. Many induction-cooking hobs these days feature auto shut-off and auto heat-up functionality which are excellent safety measures to prevent overheating, fires, and accidental burns.
The disadvantages of induction-cooking include noisiness, high initial cost, less variety of sizes, interference with peripheral cooking accessories such as meat thermometers, costly repairs, and the fact that food can't be charred anymore (as there are no flames). The initial cost of these hobs can vary between £20 and £200, so you do have a lot of room to select which product on the market works for you.
We have reviewed many different price points for these products, and we have produced a pretty varied set of recommendations in the above article.