Short on time? Here’s our pick;
- KEEPS SPICES FRESH: The pepper mill is made of premium wood, it does not affect the taste or smell of your spices.
- ADJUSTABLE CERAMIC GRINDER: Each of our grinder contains non-corrosive ceramic grinder, five stages adjustable from coarse to fine.
- EASY TO USE: Whether your like a fine or coarse grind simply twist to adjust and making it effortless to grind.
- HIGH QUALITY: GooDoi manual pepper mill is non-corrosive and is very time saving, NO mess with your delicious cooking.
- WARRANTY: The wooden pepper mill is designed beautiful body, superior build quality. We offer lifetime friendly customer service. 18-month all-round guarantee, unconditional refund.
Best Salt And Pepper Grinders For Your Money
- 1 Best Salt And Pepper Grinders For Your Money
- 1.1 GooDoi Salt and Pepper Mill
- 1.2 Russell Hobbs Battery Powered Salt and Pepper Grinders 23460-56
- 1.3 Latent Epicure Battery Operated Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- 1.4 Salt and Pepper Mills Electric Salt and Peppercorn Grinders
- 1.5 KZGRIT Electric Salt and Pepper Mill Set
- 1.6 Evolution of Salt and Pepper Grinders
- 1.7 Choosing a Salt or Pepper Grinder
Are you looking to step up your cooking with freshly ground spices? If your answer is Yes, then it’s time to say Goodbye to those stale store-bought pre-ground spices and say Hello to best Salt and Pepper grinders money can buy.
Here’s our pick for some of the best pepper and salt grinders you can get currently on the market. You can use any of these to grind nutmeg, a key ingredient in the making of bread and butter pudding whose recipe can be found here.
GooDoi Salt and Pepper Mill
Known for making some of the best glass and kitchen appliances in the business, you can never go wrong with the GooDoi-made Salt and Pepper Mill. The box contains 2 pieces of manual salt and pepper shakers that are as big as 8 inches tall and 1.7 inches in girth. It also ticks all the boxes in performance, durability and even aesthetics.
Made from premium high-quality wood, you won’t have to worry about corrosion or tampering with the tastes of the spices with this salt and pepper grinder. Similarly, it is also characteristic of a non-corrosive ceramic grinder that features a grinding adjuster in five different modes.
Overall, it is the best salt and pepper grinder money can buy with the best deals. It comes with an 18-month all-inclusive guarantee with an unconditional refund. If that doesn’t spell out their confidence in their salt and pepper mills then the following features might
- Pepper mills Dimensions: 4.5cm by 21. 5cm
- The pepper mill operation is all manual with no battery required
- The pepper mill five-mode adjustment grinding mechanism lets you switch from fine to a coarse setting
- High quality Acacia Wood offers lifetime guarantee in performance
- Comes with a metal core with ceramics movement in a nice finish
How to use
- Start by unscrewing the nut on the top of the salt and pepper grinder
- Pour in the peppercorns, salt or any other spice you need to grind after opening the round wooden cover at the top
- Screw back the top nut and select between fine and coarse grinding. Be careful not to screw it too tight to damage the abrasive core
- Note that turning it clockwise grinds the contents to a more fine feel whereas anticlockwise results into coarse contents.
- Work by turning the covers clockwise and releases the ground seasonings from the bottom
- This salt grinder has different grind settings to choose from which makes it more effective to deliver precision grinding
- They are Sturdy built grinders with a lovely and timeless design
- Size is relatively huge with a capacity to grind enough peppercorns for a lot of meals
- A manual pepper mill can be tiresome to use
Summing up, the GooDoi adjustable pepper mill is best suited for picnics, dinner, parties, barbeques or small restaurant use. Some of the best salts to use with it include sea salt, Himalayan salt, and coarse salt. As for spices, whole pepper or any other can do well in this pepper mill. You can get this salt and pepper grinder for cheap at online stores, and retailers.
Russell Hobbs Battery Powered Salt and Pepper Grinders 23460-56
The British Household appliance manufacturer, Russell Hobbs also delivers one of the best salt and pepper grinders. They are known for creating quality products that don’t just help in problem-solving but also lead in terms of design and innovation. Most of their kitchen appliances are known to rack up great reviews on all leading stores and outlets.
This particular salt and pepper grinder model comes in a stainless steel and silver finish. Most dining table spice jars and salt shakers often come in the same color which could be great in matching the set. At first glance, it gives a nice, clean polished look. Further examination reveals the see-through spacing that lets you check out how far along you are from grinding the whole salt pepper.
The stainless steel and silver finish is no lifetime guarantee but it does speak for itself when the question on durability comes into play. Warranty limit caters for up to three years plus an option of extending it to one more year if you register the product online through their website.
Advantages of an electric grinder
- They are effortless and easy to use
- Offers one-hand operation and are convenient for people with arthritis
- Grinds its contents faster
- They are typically more feature-packed and include the spice reservoir that is accessible through the see-through glass
Disadvantages of an electric grinder
- They are generally heavier and bulkier
- Their constant need for charging and battery replacement adds additional costs
- They typically generate a lot of heat throughout their use
- The mechanism used in grinding is far less consistent when compared to those of manual mills.
- Product dimensions: Height – 23cm, Diameter of the bottom – 6cm, Diameter at the top – 4.5 cm
- Weight – 399g
- Battery-powered with a one-button operation to start and stop the grinding
- LED illumination under the dispenser to show how much ground spices have already been added to your dish
- Ceramic grinding mechanism fused onto the steel body
- The salt mill also features an adjustable grind to switch between fine precision grinding or coarse grinding
How to use
- Twist the top knob to unlock the pepper grinder set
- Remove the battery holder and fit in 4 x AA batteries in the right polarity
- Again, remove the holder from locked to the unlocked position
- Fill it with salt and peppercorns and lock it once more
- Twist the bottom to adjust the grind
- Press the button on the top to grind
- Release to stop
Note that rechargeable batteries are to be removed from the appliance before being charged. They are also to be removed if the device is to be stored for a long time to prevent battery leaking
- The salt and pepper grinder is great for people with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities
- It can also be used by newbies who lack experience and knowledge on how to use a grinder
- The output is faster than that of a manual grinder
- Like all electrical appliances, they are subject to circuit failures and faults within their working mechanisms
- The need to constantly charge the batteries and its dependency can be a let down especially if they run out of juice
- The LED illumination is more of a gimmick and consumes more battery power
For your money’s worth, you’ll get one mill set consisting of two high quality salt and pepper grinders. They both look great in a kitchen scenario and are fairly easy to use. However, the key to the steel salt mills long-lasting performance all comes down to maintenance. You can check out the pricing for this particular pepper mill model with retailers, online stores or contact the manufacturer directly through their website.
Latent Epicure Battery Operated Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
Better known as the Home & Kitchen Connoisseurs, Latent Epicure UK delivers on all fronts. The material makeup of their salt mills is stainless steel. You can also tell that they put a lot of thought into the design with their premium branding close to the bottom to give it a high quality steel finishing.
The stainless steel adds a nice touch in color to match your kitchen set. Similarly, the transparent see through glass on the grinders also makes it easier to see how coarse the peppercorns still are. When it comes to performance, the Latent Epicure peppermills are one of the best salt and pepper mill set in the market.
They make good use of ceramic which typically lasts longer than metal or steel grinders. The design team also thought it wise to throw in a complimentary mill rest to help keep your kitchen area cleaner. Spice grinding can get messy, appliances can also break. However, with a 30-day 100% money back guarantee plus a 1-year warranty, it is a good deal when looking for the best salt and pepper grinders in the market.
- Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 8 x 22 cm
- Weight – 780 grams
- Grinder adjustment control on the salt mill to help switch from fine to coarse variations
- Features a bright light to illuminate how much seasoning comes out of it
- One button at the top to start and stop the operation
- Ceramic mechanism
- 2 mill lids and an acrylic mill set
How to Use
The detailed set of instructions on how to use the Latent Epicure Salt & Pepper Mill Set comes in the box.
- You’ll first need to take off the mill lids at the top to access the battery compartments
- Place 4 AA batteries into their designated slots. Note that the manufacturer recommends using non rechargeable AA LR6 batteries for optimal power performance
- Next, add your recommended spice, pepper or salt into the compartment and lock it by twisting the top knob
- Lastly, push the button at the top for the device to start grinding and release once you’re done
- You’ll get 2 top mill lids and the acrylic mill rest for your kitchen at no additional cost
- The ceramic grinding mechanism in it should outlive most plastic grinders
- The stainless steel salt mill don’t work well with rechargeable batteries
- The bulb is not LED
The Latent Epicure battery operated rated grinder set offers some of the best features on the spec sheet. Performance-wise, it also holds strong and can work with humid spices such as Pink salt, wet sea salt and the Himalayan salts. Have a look at this pepper mills pricing on its website or visit online stores for other information
Salt and Pepper Mills Electric Salt and Peppercorn Grinders
This is one of the best salt and pepper mill manufactured by the Hamnytech lineup group. The designers boast of filling in all the gaps a consumer could ever want in salt and pepper set. Their premium quality salt mills are made in a modern and elegant stainless steel design.
Right of the bat, you’ll notice the brushed stainless steel grinder fused in a durable glass body. Similarly, the grinders also fused ceramic blades onto large grinding cores to handle even the hardest peppercorns and salts. It’s also got a clear cut-out container that also lets you see how much spices are present. The salt pepper grinder set also features different grind settings for varying coarseness
- Comes with an extra large ceramic grinder that offers a lifetime guarantee
- Features a bright LED to illuminate your dish and how much seasoning to get
- Single hand push button that starts and stops the work
- A rubber dust cap at the bottom to prevent spice residue from spraying on your kitchen area
- Similarly, the salt pepper grinder set also comes with a complimentary mill tray for holding off the ground pepper at the bottom[
- An adjustable pepper grinder that sets the level of coarseness needed
How to use
- This electric peppercorn grinder needs a gentle twist on its top to reveal the acrylic spice chamber.
- Add your seasoning after inserting the six batteries and twist in the anticlockwise direction to seal it shut
- Pick a coarseness mode by sliding the bottom of the mill body
- Long press the top button on the pepper mill to start the operation and release once done
- The ceramic mechanism can grind salt and pepper with the toughest rigidity
- The LED light at the bottom is super bright and convenient for dimly lit dinners
- Stainless steel design gives the pepper grinder a more modern premium quality
- With this electric powered mill set, you will have to get 6 x AAA batteries which can be a little over the top.
This particular salt and pepper grinder by Hamnytech is one of the best salt and pepper grinder offerings in the current market. Not only is its mechanism good for peppercorn but also sea salt, black paper and other seasonings. It may set you short with a few notes but it is definitely worth the trouble if you’re looking for freshly ground spices. The spices go well with minced meat which you can also find in one of our kitchen blogs here. You can get these particular pepper mills through online stores and retailers. The company doesn’t have a website yet.
KZGRIT Electric Salt and Pepper Mill Set
KZGRIT made apppliances are known for their high quality standards and the Electric Salt and Pepper Mill grinders both deliver on a strong front. This particular steel set was specifically designed with the lazy man’s kitchen interests at heart and are both battery powered.
When it comes to design, the choice they went with is pretty standard with a stainless steel metal body. The salt and pepper mill can also come in silver and features an LED light to brighten up the area in the case of dimly lit kitchen. Like any of these other salt grinders, it also comes fitted with a ceramic grinding blade that’s stronger and durable than most.
- Pepper mill set dimensions: 5.2 x 5.2 x 22.5 cm
- Weight – 599
- An adjustable grind option is present to choose between varying levels of coarseness
- You will also get rubber caps found at the bottom help keep your kitchen surfaces spotless
- Built in LED light for each set
- The mill set features a one button operation that easy to execute using one hand
How to use
- Start by opening up the top cover by turning it anticlockwise
- Fit in 4 x AA batteries in their correct polarity and shut it
- Next, fill in your peppercorns, salt or seasonings you wish to grind
- Make sure you have aligned the two iron rings at the two small metal discs and push them both back to connect to the base compartments
- Lock the top by turning it clockwise and press the button to start
- Release the top button of the pepper mill set whenever you’re done using the grinder
- Its premium stainless steel and stylish design adds beauty to your kitchen and acts as an aesthetical advantage
- When it comes to affordability, the mill set brings out one of the best deals at a similar price tag.
- The mill set level of fine grinding is at subpar with other grinders in the market
- Construction of the motor and battery casing could use a bit of innovation
These two premium quality salt mills are some of the best grinding units in the market as of now. They are comfortable, durable and easy to use. The stainless steel design is hardly flawed whereas performance is hardly impaired either. You can find this pepper mill grinding set on Amazon, eBay or any other online store. Feel free to spice up more of your meals by checking out some of our recipes and coooking methods for Gammon here.
Is there a difference between a salt mill and pepper mills?
Yes, there is a huge difference between a salt and pepper mill even though the majority of the consumer doesn’t typically understand them. The contrast comes when you factor in the mechanism used in grinding the content within them. For instance, quality high-end pepper mills use hardened or carbon steel whereas a salt grinder makes good use of stainless steel.
The hardened steel in pepper mills is to ensure that the toughened peppercorns are turned into powder form. On the other hand, salt can get corrosive when in contact with steel, which is the last thing you want after spending money on them. Therefore, you should never use both interchangeably and also never let store pepper inside the mill for a long time since it goes bad quickly.
What about Ceramic grinders?
There also exists another building block of material called ceramic that’s used in most grinders. The choice between the three will, however, depend on the cost, corrosion resistance, sharpness, durability, and consistency of use. Let’s check out each of these characteristics
- Cost – Out of the three materials, Carbon Steel is the most expensive with a Carbon constituent level of between 0.6 to 1.5%. Stainless steel follows with Ceramic as the cheapest option.
- Corrosion resistance – Again, out of the three, Ceramic is the least corrosive since it is naturally oxidized. It is followed by Stainless steel and finally, hardened steel which is the least corrosion-resistant.
- Sharpness – when you’ve just bought the grinder, you may notice that the Carbon Steel one does the job a lot faster. That’s because the blades are sharper than those of ceramic and steel. However, with time, they will wear out and lose their sharpness. Ceramic, on the other hand, will maintain its sharpness despite how many times you use it.
- Durability – both kinds of steel are more durable than ceramic materials
- Consistency of use – the design of the mechanism in hardened steel and ceramic grinders is indifferent to that of stainless steel. On the latter, the spices are crushed more than they are ground, which not always be comforting in consistent use.
Evolution of Salt and Pepper Grinders
Back in the day, pestle and mortar sets were the best go-to tools to grind salt and most cooking ingredients. However, as the modern age slowly gained prominence came the onslaught ceramic grinders. The first pepper mill made of all metal was created in 1842 by Peugeot, the French car manufacturer. It was virtually indestructible.
Since then, several other brands such as Le Creuset and Cole & Mason stepped up in making some of the best salt and pepper grinders. Some manufacturers went for Zinc alloy whereas others dwelled on acrylic. The latter, though durable and long-lasting doesn’t come off as easy on the eyes.
Ceramic, on the other hand, is non-corrosive and can be used to grind pepper, salt, and even coffee. Find out more about coffee and whether or not it is good for your health here. Cole Mason, one of the top manufacturers of salt and pepper grinders use ceramic in most of their models. To simplify things even further and stiffen up the competition, electric pepper mills finally hit the market. They are very easy to use, the design and look are flawless and to top it all off, they get the job done much faster. If you’re wondering which grinder to go home with, here’s a guide to help you decide.
Choosing a Salt or Pepper Grinder
Chili-heads and Epicureans throughout history enacted the fact that once the pepper is ground, it oxidizes quickly and loses its potency. As a result, gourmet chefs, sous chefs – call them what you may – all prefer the inconvenience of freshly ground pepper and all kinds of spices to the pre-ground kind.
Therefore, it goes without a doubt that your choice of the best salt or pepper grinder should be tailored towards top efficiency, durability and performance. However, with the current flooded market, you may also want to cross the following characteristics off your salt and pepper grinders
- Grind Mechanism
Your Chemistry understanding of Salts should remind you that slamming it into metal grinders could be corrosive. Therefore, a ceramic grinder would be the best choice when buying a salt grinder. However, the type of salt you use could also influence the longevity of your grinder.
For example, Himalayan salts are better than sea salts based on their mineral content for your consumption. However, some minerals can be corrosive with the metal used in some grinders
- Coarseness settings
The best pepper mills should give you the option of switching between very fine to roughly crushed. Switching across the two allows you to use the same grinders for varying recipes or for picky consumers
Depending on the use, small to medium sized salt & pepper mills are best suited to a home kitchen. However, you will need a bigger vessel to potentially grind enough peppercorns to spice up a whole restaurant.
- Ease of use
The grinding mechanism used should be easy enough to crank or twist especially if you’re dealing with a lot of orders. A comfortable grip will also help speed up the process
Generally, there are two types of salt and pepper grinders – manual and electric powered. The latter which is mostly battery powered is easier to use and best in a larger kitchen. The downside to it is the contant reminder to charge it.