Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Sandwich Maker Is The Tower T27010!
- Make up to four deliciously toasted sandwiches packed full of your favourite fillings in moments
- Cerastone coated non-stick plates for an easy clean
- Requires no oil or butter for healthier cooking and easier cleaning
- Plate ridges cut and seal in sandwiches for your convenience
- Elegant black and stainless steel design
The Best Sandwich Makers Toastie Makers Available Now
Sandwiches are a thing of beauty, they were popularised in England in 1762 by John Montagu, who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich, however the first sandwiches can be traced by to the 1st Century B.C. Hungry Rabbi Hillel the Elder is said to have begun the Passover tradition of getting some unleavened bread, putting lamb, nuts and herbs in it, and calling that lunch.
In the Middle Ages peasants used thick, stale slices of bread as plates called 'trenchers'. This open sandwich probably didn't include the bread. In modern terms the Dutch have a long tradition of serving bread with meat or fish and other toppings.
Why should you use a sandwich or toastie maker?
A rather obvious question, because they make really tasty, simple food. Toasties are a great way to introduce children to making and preparing food. Often they are amongst the first kitchen appliances children are allowed to use, because although they can get hot, they're very easy to shut down and control- just keep your fingers out.
What should you look for in one?
Sandwich and toasty makers are essentially grills. When buying one you should consider if you want to make anything else with the folding grill. Some items are single purpose, or at least designed that way, whilst others allow you to cook other foods like waffles or even meat such as bacon.
Removable plates are a useful feature in a toastie maker. They can be put in the dishwasher, left to soak, or cleaned with a handheld steam cleaner. Some toastie makers are still stuck looking like video game consoles or PCs from the '00s, if you're trying to design on a budget be sure to shop around and match their appliances.
- Does the grill cook more than toasties?
- Is it easy to clean?
- Sealed or open toasties?
- Easy to store?
The Best Toastie Makers In 2019
The Tower T27010
The Tower sandwich maker is a heavy weight toasty maker capable of producing four sandwiches at once. It comes with non-stick cerastone coated toasting plates, non-slip feet and a cool touch handle.
- The toasting plates cut ridges and seal filling sandwiches, try adding some beans or sauce
- 1 Year Guarantee or two years with registration
- No butter or fat required, but it does make sandwiches better
- Easy to store and can be stood upright
- Single use you can't make waffles or grill meat or vegetables in it
- Doesn't come with a range of plates
- Aesthetically unpleasing
The VonShef 3-in-1
This 3-in-1 grill comes with a set of removable, non-stick plates allowing you to make a sealed toasty, add classic straight grill lines to paninis and cook waffles from scratch. VonShef are a relatively new company, however they offer a two year manufacturers guarantee should something go wrong with your toaster. They've also been featured in the Times, Ideal Home and the Great British Food Magazine.
- Cook multiple recipes, make multiple snacks
- Non-stick removable plates
- Easy to use, just plug in and toast
- 2 Year manufacturers guarantee
- Compact design for unobtrusive storage
- Good value for money, our cheapest pick
- Squat design, ugly lights and spaceship-esque
The Brevillie Deep Fill Toaster
The Breville Deep Fill sandwich maker is made from stainless steel and resembles a small suitcase. Against our other picks the Breville Deep Fill is the most aesthetically pleasing, it doesn't have the same mid-2000s video game console look as the VonShef or the Tower. However it is smaller, only cooking two sandwiches at once and it doesn't have a choice of grill plates.
- Breville are a long standing brand with a good range of kitchen products
- Good manufacturer support if you get into trouble
- Removable plates for easy cleaning in a dishwasher
- Cool touch handle
- Non-stick proofing on the plates can wear away quickly if washed incorrectly - go gentle!
- Lack of choice in grill plates