The Best Sound Bars For Gaming - PS5, Xbox One ConsolesContents1 The Best Sound Bars For Gaming - PS5, Xbox One Consoles1.1 Our Top Gaming Soundbar -1.2 The Creative Sound BlasterX Katana Multi-Channel Gaming Soundbar (Editor's Pick!)1.3 Which Is The Best Soundbar For Gaming? Short On Time? Our Recommended The Best Sound Bars For Gaming […]
The Best Outdoor Security Light with Motion Sensor UK Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1 The Best Outdoor Security Light with Motion Sensor UK Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Our Top Outdoor Light With Motion Sensor -
- 1.2 The Steinel LED Outdoor Floodlight XLED ONE XL (Editor’s Choice)
- 1.3 Our Budget Option!- Konstsmide Sensor Outdoor Wall Light
- 1.4 Our Verdict - Which Is The Best Outdoor Security Light With Motion Sensor UK?
- 1.5 What To Look For In a Best Outdoor Motion Security Light (Our Best Buying Guide)
- 1.6 Best Features To Consider In a Motion Sensor Outdoor Security Light
- 1.7 What Are The Benefits Of Owning a Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
- 1.8 Our #1 Security Light With Motion Sensor To Keep Your Home Safe
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Security Light with Motion Sensor Is TheSmeg KL04!
- An impressive 4200 lm brightness at a consumption of 42.6 W ensures daylight illumination of house, yard and garden with warm white LED light
Installing a security light for the outdoor area of your home cannot only help illuminate your garden or front porch when it's dark but also assist in deterring burglars.
Security lights with motion sensors, in particular, are great at capturing any unusual movement, allowing you to protect your home and have a peace of mind when sleeping at night.
Check out reviews of our solar powered security lights with motion sensor here!
However, nowadays, these sensored lights can come with many different features such as; solar-powered battery, waterproof casings, adjustable range and even different sensor types.
All these features can make it challenging to figure out what security lighting is the best for your home, so to help you out we have rounded up the best security sensor lights on the market and compared them to find the right UK model for you.
Our Top Outdoor Light With Motion Sensor -
The Steinel LED Outdoor Floodlight XLED ONE XL (Editor’s Choice)
This Steinel white LED floodlight comes with 43.5-watt energy consumption and boasts 4400 lumens of light.
Feature-wise the outdoor light comes with a 180-degree infrared motion sensor and can detect motion within a range of up to 12m. The light sensor further has a stay-on time setting of between 8 seconds-35 minutes and a twilight function rating of 2000lx.
Other notable specifications of this security lights model are its long lifespan of up to 50,000 hours and IP44 protection rating.
To conclude, this Steinel floodlight is one of the best lights on our list in terms of brightness due to its 4400 lumens of light. The model is great too due to its large motion sensor detection range.
A downfall of this lights model has to be its design which comes with a black cable, not a white, which is less aesthetically pleasing for your home.
- High brightness level.
- Adjustable lighting and motion sensor.
- 12m range of motion detection.
- 50,000-hour lifespan.
- Time setting.
- Different coloured cable makes wiring noticeable.
The Product Below May Be Currently Unavailable,
Our recommended alternative is The Konstsmide Outside Lighting Nemi Up Outdoor Wall Light!
- Konstsmide Quality Outdoor Lighting - Independently Tested to Ensure High Standards and with a Two-Year Warranty
- Elegant wall lamp for outdoor use, this high-quality exterior wall light will be an eye-catcher on your façade.
- White resin construction with, clear glass globe.
- Dusk Till Dawn Sensor - Never forget to turn on your light.
- Requires Max 1 x 60 W ES GLS lamp (Not Included), Energy efficiency rating A++ - E, Protection class IP44
Our Budget Option!- Konstsmide Sensor Outdoor Wall Light
The Konstsmide outdoor security light is one of the lowest-priced lights on our list and uses a 60 watt E27 bulb that has a resin exterior.
Main features of this home security light are it’s PIR motion sensor that can be adjusted up to 140 degrees and has a 10m distance. The timer that the sensor light comes on for can be adjusted between 5 seconds - 10 minutes depending on your preference.
Additional specs in this light are its IP44 protection and easy installation method.
Overall, this budget outdoor security lights model has a lot to offer for a small amount of money and boasts a stylish globe wall hanging design which makes a nice addition to any home.
Negatives of this sensor light are its smaller range of outdoor motion detection in comparison to other lights, the model additionally has a glass globe which may be less durable than other designs.
- Stylish globe design.
- PIR motion detector.
- Easy installation.
- High rating.
- Easy to break dome glass.
- The low range of motion detection.
Steinel Outdoor Wall Light L 810 iHF LED
The Steinel outdoor security motion light comes with an up/down motion sensor light and has a power rating of 12.5 watts from its LEDs.
Main features of this security light are its 612 lumens brightness level that has a 3000K temperature rating. The Steinel wall light additionally has a 160 degrees outdoor motion detection iHF sensor that can sense movement up to 5 metres away.
Extra specifications of this wall light are it’s 4-hour permanent lighting option and 10 percent lighting function which allows you to have softer outdoor light. The model also has a lifespan of 50,000 hours and a time setting of 5-15 minutes.
Overall, this Steinel best outdoor motion sensor light is one of the best lighting options on our list thanks to its easy installation and range of adjustability for its outdoor motion sensor and lighting, allowing you to have more control over your device.
Some downfalls of this motion security light have to be its price which is a little high in comparison to other outdoor security lights on our list. The device further is reported to have a low-quality motion sensor which either is too sensitive or not sensitive enough.
- Up/down style sensor lights.
- 160-degree range of motion detection.
- Many lighting options and adjustability.
- 20-year life-span.
- 612 lumens of light.
- 3000K temperature rating.
- Low-quality motion sensor.
- Very expensive.
Steinel LED Floodlight XLED Home 2 XL
This Steinel floodlight security lights model features a 20 watt LED light sensor panel that can be adjusted up to 180 degrees in any kind of direction.
The security floodlight additionally has 2120 lumens of light with a warm white temperature of 3000K. A time setting between 8 seconds and 35 minutes, along with a twilight function allows you to have further control over the lighting.
Extra features of this sensor light are its HCMC cooling system which increases the lifespan of these home security lights up to 50,000 hours.
Its sensor can also detect outdoor motion within a 10m range and has an infrared motion sensor to detect thermal heat from intruders. Installation of this floodlight is simple due to its Steinel assembly concept.
The Steinel security floodlight is overall a reliable lighting option for your home thanks to the energy-saving power consumption of only 20 watts and cooling system that increases the lifespan of its lights.
It’s sensor mode further has a great range and can be adjusted to your preference when detecting motion.
Negative of this security light has to be its mon sensor which is said to have a smaller range of only 5 metres rather than 10, some of the security light models have also been said to fail electrically.
- Low energy consumption.
- Cooling system prolongs lights lifespan.
- Adjustable motion sensor and lighting.
- Easy to install.
- 2120 lumen rating.
- Smaller motion range that stated.
- Low durability with some models having an electrical failure.
Osram Noxlite Flood Light LED Flood Light
If you are looking for an affordable outdoor security light that detects motion, it could be worth checking out this model by Osram.
Significant features of this floodlight are 40 watts 3000-lumen rating and adjustable panel which can be pivoted to 140 degrees. The home security light additionally has a flexible timer between 5-35 minutes and the motion sensor can be set between 4-14 metres.
There is also a twilight light sensor function included with this device that can be set between 2-2000 lux. The motion sensor can be turned off too and the lights have splash-proof housing with an IP44 rating.
The Osram Noxlite outdoor security motion sensor light is one of the best home security devices you can get for your money, especially if you're on a budget.
This model is great thanks to its stylish robust design and easy installation, its adjustable motion sensor further allows you to customise when your lights come on and what range it detects motion in.
Some downfalls, however, have to be its motion sensor which is said to have a delayed reaction when turning on the lights, the model is further reported by some customers to lose connection after being installed.
- Very affordable.
- Robust protected housing.
- Adjustable range of detection and timer for lights to be switched on.
- Low energy consumption.
- Timer setting.
- Delayed reaction when the device detects motion.
- Loses connection after being installed.
Our Verdict - Which Is The Best Outdoor Security Light With Motion Sensor UK?
To conclude, the best outdoor security light with a motion sensor has to be the Steinel LED Outdoor Floodlight XLED ONE XL due to its large motion sensor range and durable lifespan, making this a reliable investment in your home security.
We also rated this model at the top of our list because of its brightness and stay-on function which allows you to keep your home illuminated for up to 30 minutes.
As a runner up, we would also suggest checking out the Konstsmide Sensor Outdoor Wall Light. This outdoor security light is one of the most stylish options for your home on our list and has a very low price for people on a budget.
What To Look For In a Best Outdoor Motion Security Light (Our Best Buying Guide)
After comparing the best outdoor security lights with sensors, it’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with all the essential features you need to look for in your best model.
There's also a vast amount of advantages to installing outdoor motion lights around your home that you might not have considered, wether battery, LED solar, or electrical lights.
So with all that being said, let's get into our buying guide below!
Best Features To Consider In a Motion Sensor Outdoor Security Light
There are many important features to consider in your new home security light; from adjustability to the range of motion and brightness of your motion sensor light- you need to be making sure your light will be right for you home.
One of the essential specs to consider in your model is the area of the place you need to be illuminated and secured; if you have a larger garden you might want to invest in very bright light with a large range of motion or put more than one outdoor light in the same area.
We have listed out some more important features to watch out for in your best outdoor light below -
- Brightness - You should make sure your best motion sensor light is bright enough to alert you when it detects motion and give enough visibility at night in the area you need. However, some people want to avoid annoying there neighbours at night or prevent startling wildlife, so you must get the right level of brightness for your needs.
- Power source and consumption - Some wireless motion sensor light models are solar-powered and some require to be charged up for use, you can also buy outdoor lights that need to be wired in, all power sources have their pros and cons but if you choose electrical, you should make sure your light doesn’t consume too much power.
- Range of motion detection - The best outdoor lights have adjustable motion range, but if not you should make sure your outdoor motion light has a good angle of range and sensor mode distance to detect all motion in the area you need at night.
- Adjustability - It's useful to have the option to move or tilt you LED solar light or battery light in the angle you require, some lights have adjustable detection range too.
- Timer settings - If you want your outdoor motion light to stay on for a longer period after detecting motion then you should make sure your model has a good range of timer settings, anything up to 35 minutes is usually adequate.
- Protection - Your outdoor light should come with some kind of protection to make the light waterproof and protect it against damaging outdoor weather. This typically comes in the form of an IP rating.
- Installation process - Installation of your motion sensor lights will depend on if they are solar lights, battery lights or wired in models, you should make sure this process is easy and not too complicated.
- Warranty - As with all electrical appliances, it's a good idea to ensure you outdoor security lights model comes with at least a one-year warranty.
What Are The Benefits Of Owning a Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
Apart from better security and helpful illumination, there are many other benefits to consider when buying your light.
For example, installing motion sensor security lights in your home can save you money in comparison to a standard light, this is due to the fact they turn off after a certain time window once motion is detected, which in turn reduces your electricity bill rather than the light being kept on all night.
We have listed out some more benefits of installing a motion sensor light in your home below -
- Easy to use - Motion sensor security lights require little setting after installation and can be left to do the job on their own, with limited manual interference needed.
- Environment friendly - Due to the low energy consumptions of these outdoor lights, this makes them an environmentally friendly alternative to a standard light that stays on all night.
- Deters criminals - These outdoor sensor lights will detect motion from intruders and normally scare them away due to them being visible, this makes them a great device to protect your home and family at night.
- Helps visibility - If your driveway or front porch tends to be too dark at night, an outdoor light could be the solution and help you navigate around your house easily during the dark.
- Scares off wild animals - Now, if you are tired of returning foxes or skunks then a security light can help warn off stray animals from your home due to the motion detector.
On the other hand, it is worth noting these security lights do tend to have some drawbacks which you may need to consider before investing in one of these motion sensor lights.
- Can be a nuisance - These outdoor lights, in particular, tend to be very bright and wide-angled, making them very noticeable and disruptive every time they get turned on.
- The sensor may be too sensitive - If your outdoor light is positioned near a path then your light will be turned on every time it detects motion, this can become very annoying and repetitive.
- Expensive - The sensor outdoor lights do not come cheap and can be very expensive due to the motion sensor inside the device.
Overall, having an easy to install motion sensor lights for you home is a great way to improve visibility at night and deter intruders, however, if you are going to install your outdoor light near a location with lots of movement it may be best to get a light with a smaller adjustable range or place it somewhere else.
Can you make a motion sensor light stay on all the time?
Yes, some of the best outdoor light models have the option to keep an area illuminated at all times with a continuous light setting, however, do be aware this may use more energy.
What kind of motion can these security lights detect?
Security lights tend to be activated by a combination of movement and light, this means changing light levels or shadows will most likely set off your outdoor light.
People, animals and other things that have high activity levels trigger a motion detector.
How much does light with an outdoor motion sensor cost?
This depends on the outdoor light you buy and its sensor, infrared sensors tend to cost more as they have thermal detection, some other expensive models also have different sensor mode options to choose from depending on the range and sensitivity you want.
However, on average they cost anything £50-£200 and above depending on the functions and size of the outdoor light you want.
What is an infrared sensor?
PIR stands for the passive infrared sensor. These sensors can detect changes in temperature which makes them ideal for detecting body heat from intruders and notifying you when someone is near your home.
Where you should I install an outdoor light like this?
This depends on where you want to be alerted and illuminate around your home. Some placement ideas are; garages, driveways, entryways, or unsafe places that are not visible during the dark.
It is best to also install your outdoor light at least 10 feet above the ground to improve the sensor mode and avoid your motion detector being set off by everything. If you have a solar light you want ensure its placed in an area with maximum sunlight.
What are the advantages of having motion sensor outdoor lights in comparison to normal security lights?
Motion sensor lights are hands down a winner over continuous lighting due to them saving energy, being more environmentally friendly, and having the ability to alert you about any unusual movement near your home.
The only downfall to these lights is that if they are positioned near a path they may be set off continuously and alert you to nearly every single movement that passes.
Do these security lights need a switch?
No, technically these outdoor light models do not need a switch as they come on automatically when they sense motion, however, some may come with a continuous switch or on/off option.
What is the best type of bulb for a security light?
Most likely, an LED light is your best shout for a security light, however, the brightness you choose should depend on where your outdoor light is being placed. For example, an outdoor light for your front porch probably doesn’t need to be that bright, but for your backyard, you might want better lighting for extra visibility at night.
Are they easy to install?
Solar-powered solar lights are and battery-powered sensor outdoor lights are easy to install thanks to their minimal wiring design that doesn’t require to be wired into the mains of your house.
If you are planning on buying a wired outdoor light then you may need an electrician to help you out.
What kind of power sources do these outdoor lights use?
As mentioned above, outdoor light devices can be powered as an LED solar light, battery light or be wired into the mains of your house.
Will the weather affect my motion lights?
Yes but only over a long period will you notice any weather damage on your outdoor light. For better protection against the elements its ideal to look for an outdoor light that has an IP rating against water and weather.
What kind of range of motion detection should I look for in a light?
This depends on the size of the area you are planning to illuminate. Driveways may require over 70 feet of motion detection to illuminate a large area, a front porch on the other hand may be fine with a 5 feet distance.
What are the lumens of light?
Lumens of light refers to how much brightness you are getting from a bulb. A higher amount of lumens means a brighter light and a lower amount means less light.
You should be looking out for watts in terms of power consumption, not brightness.
Our #1 Security Light With Motion Sensor To Keep Your Home Safe
The number one security outdoor light with motion sensor is the Steinel LED Outdoor Floodlight XLED ONE XL due to its powerful outdoor light that is perfect for illuminating driveways and detecting intruders entering your home from a distance.
- An impressive 4200 lm brightness at a consumption of 42.6 W ensures daylight illumination of house, yard and garden with warm white LED light
We also recommended the Konstsmide Sensor Outdoor Wall Light thanks to its affordable price and stylish design which can help light up your home and lower your electricity bill due to its low energy consumption.
- Konstsmide Outside Lights Mains Powered Quality Up Outdoor Lanterns PIR Sensor-Motion Detector Outdoor Wall Lights - Independently Tested Outdoor Lighting to Ensure High Standards
- This high-quality resin exterior light will be an eye-catcher on your façade. Outside lights will provide up and down light to illuminate the wall and features below, ideal for use as garden lighting
- PIR Motion Sensor/Motion Sensor Light, 140 Degrees sensor radius, with 10m distance, light on time can be set from 5 seconds to 10 minutes
- Requires 1 x 60 W max E27 bulbs (not included), can be used with energy saving E27 style bulbs to make a LED light
- Energy Efficiency Rating A++ - E, Protection class IP44, outdoor lights mains powered, Size Height 31cm, Width 20cm, Depth 21.5cm