Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Sparkling Water Maker Is The Aarke Carbonator II!
- Second generation of the iconic Aarke Carbonator, our second model features several internal engineering updates to provide the most robust, smooth user experience.
- Overhauled packaging design to ensure that your Carbonator arrives to you safe and sound.
- Designed from the inside out to be extremely compact. The result is a sleek profile that houses a unique safety system with three independent safety valves.
- The function is very simple. Just fill the bottle with cold water, screw the bottle into the machine, pull the lever down and you are done! It could not be simpler.
- How to use: The lever is where the magic starts and ends, both carbonating your water and releasing pressure from the bottle. Push and hold until you hear a buzz, then release and unscrew the bottle from the machine.
How to Pick The Best Sparkling Water Maker in 2020- Our Guide
A new era of home-cooking and food transparency has been ushered, as people are becoming increasingly wary of what they put into their bodies- whether you've started implementing changes of your own yet or not, owning a sparkling drink maker can prove to a better purchase for you instead of continuously buying soft drinks.
DIY Soft Drinks-What?
Soft drinks not only contain so many different types of sugar, but they also have other chemicals and nasties- some of which we can't even pronounce! So if you can't recognise an ingredient on the list, how will your body? Today, we've tested and reviewed the best carbonating water / sparkling water maker/soda makers out there, so you know exactly what you are putting into your body.
Previously we've spoken about DrinkMate beverage carbonation maker machines, which were a hit worldwide and offer great quality at affordable prices. The DrinkMate beverage carbonation maker is a great appliance for adding carbon dioxide content to any drink of your choice (carbon dioxide infusion is what we refer to as the fizz, the higher and more varied options of carbonation we are given, the more versatile the product is).
Read on to learn about our best fizz infuser recommendations at BestReviews.
1) Aarke Carbonator II-Brass
There are numerous factors which led us to award this product with being recommended as the best sparkling water maker/soda maker / sparkling beverage maker on the market in 2020.
We absolutely love the sleek, luxurious, and up-class appearance of the smooth brass finish- it looks too luxurious to be a mere soda maker! As this product's casing is made of stainless steel, the weight is far less than what we would have imagined too, making it great to take away with you.
What We Love:
- Stainless Steel Enclosure: The body of this soda maker/beverage carbonation maker is crafted from Stainless Steel, making it light enough for optimum portability, while ensuring that there is still a luxurious, qualitative feel to the product. The use of stainless steel also means that it is less prone to wear and tear, scratches, scuffs, and damage, giving this machine greater durability and longer life.
- Beautiful Shade: The colour option we receive for this sparkling water beverage maker is a luxurious, unique brass finish- which is uncommon for many amazon SodaStream options or other carbonated water maker machines. The brass shade is so beautiful, that one would want to keep it on a kitchen counter for show purposes too- in addition to it being such a well-crafted, quality product.
- Compact: With its modest dimensions, this sparkling water/soda maker still packs a punch, delivering enhanced functionality within a smaller space. This makes it a great, top quality machine that will sit neatly on your counter.
- Safety Enhanced: Despite its compactness, the Aarke Carbonator II features three independent safety valves to give you a smoother, safer, and more reassured experience with the beverage carbonation maker completely.
- Easy to Use: With the functionality mechanisms in place, we haven't found a single soda maker which is easier to use than the Carbonator II by Aarke. You simply push the lever and hold- when you hear a buzz, that's when you know it's ready to unscrew the bottle. That's all it takes for the Aarke Sparkling beverage maker to both carbonate and automatically release the pressure into the bottle.
- Universal Compatibility: This sparkling water /soda maker/ beverage maker is amongst the most universal of soda makers, making it compatible with CO2 SodaStream Amazon cylinders, AGA, Linde, and many other standard 425 gram cylinders (60L) for sparkling water maker machines.
Amongst the other soda maker / sparkling water maker machines we've tried, we genuinely did arrive to conclude that this is the one that the majority of our colleagues would opt to purchase themselves.
It is both appealing aesthetically, packs a load of functionality, offers great quality, and isn't an entirely bespoke item for which you need to buy specialised cylinders- you can browse stores all over the internet to find deals to use with this sparkling water/soda maker.
Value for Money: 9/10
2) SodaStream ™ Power Sparkling Water Maker - Brushed Steel
The world's most renowned and popular soda maker company indefinitely rises to the top of any criticiser's list of recommendations- with years of experience in their specialised field, SodaStream is the best at what they do.
Today, the product we've selected amongst their vast range of products is the Power Sparkling-water Maker, which is optimised to create satisfying soda water. The iconic curvature of the container bottle, as well as the sleek, glamourous appearance of the actual soda maker, make a great pair to place on your kitchen worktop.
What We Love:
- Award-Winning Design: With the iconic curved bottle design, we can't say we love any other soda maker for this. We absolutely love the sleek, minimalist design which doesn't fail to impress us despite adopting a generic, monotone scheme. There is also noticeably improved technology to complement this black-and-silver metal design.
- Smart: One handy feature of this model of soda makers is the snap-lock mechanism, which proves to be extremely convenient because of its ability to avoid leakages and spills. This is achieved in conjunction with the mechanism to hold the carbonated drinks bottle in place with a single push motion.
- Easy to Use: With useful integrated LED indicator lights, you can switch around between three different levels of carbonation for your tap water transformed soda water. Whatever your preference is, this appliance will be able to serve up a drink that you'll love.
- Optimally Efficient: With the purchase of this machine, not only will you be both cost-efficient and eco-efficient, you'll be (approximately) saving up to 2,000 bottles and cans a year! Wow! And that is just your lone contribution with average use of the product. This is achieved by the reusability and refill aspect of the SodaStream bottles, as well as the CO2 cylinder attachments.
- Standard Delivery Scope: You achieve the standard 60 liters of soda water carbonation capacity (60 liters is the common ground between all models, so it's a good comparison point when buying a soda water maker- if it's higher, great!)
SodaStream is highly renowned and known for producing reliable, top-quality appliances for the sole purpose of carbonated beverages, making them the best at what they do.
Not only is the sleek design enough to win us over, but the general smoothness of use accompanying the sleek design is what makes this product stand out.
Value for Money: 9/10
3) Levivo Drink Maker- Rose Gold
Third on our list is Levivo's innovatively designed, cutting-edge appliance which serves its purpose of transforming mere tap water into the best soda water tap water ever! Not only will you achieve the goal of making the best soda ever, but you'll also do it in style- because we absolutely fell in love with the suspended-bottle design featured here.
In terms of appearance, we really do score the Levivo at number 1- we tested out the functionality and found that it delivers a balanced level of carbonation (many of these appliances allow you to select your preferred level of carbonation too, whether you prefer the level of carbonation to be on the lower, milder end or more concentrated).
The colour of this sparkling water maker is also in a rare, champagne shade which is an uncommon variation in the market today, where monotone, darker colours such as grey and black prevail.
What We Love:
- Starter Kit Set: There is a great, well-rounded range of Ultra-Tec in the Levivo sparkling water maker. The starter kit includes 2 aerator bottles and the CO2 cylinder is sold separately. This is the case with many sparkling water makers, as the CO2 cylinder must often be bought separately.
- Latest Technology: The innovative 2-way comfort pressure system and bayonet mount are up to date with the latest technology of 2020, making this a recent, reliable, and holistically excellent appliance. In addition, you can add syrups to transform tap water into delicious, refreshing soda beverage options which you will be delighted to drink on a hot summer's day. Refine the taste of your soda beverage to suit your personal preferences, but bear in mind that the syrups are not included in the purchase of this sparkling water maker.
- Variable Carbonation: At the simple touch of a button, you can alter the amount of carbon acid in your soda beverage to make it the best soda ever- for you!
- Cost-Efficient: One cartridge is plenty for approximately 60 litres (bottle) of beverage, which is standard for sparkling water machines on the market today.
Levivo is definitely not the common name that arises in the market for soda drink makers and soda beverage makers, however, the quality is commendable at its affordable price.
You're paying for quality, a diverse range of fizz infuser levels, cutting-edge design, and a beautiful, unique champagne colour finish. You can purchase this off of Amazon for the best overall price, however, you may be able to bag a deal at other homeware stores such as HomeBase or Currys, if you're lucky- indulge in a bit of bargain hunting!
We chose to buy this off of Amazon due to the next day delivery option included in Prime, which generally has always been convenient for us.
Value for Money: 8/10
4) Morphy Richards Soda Sparkle Soda System - Twin Kit
Lastly on our list is the Morphy Richards Sparkling Water Beverage Maker, with a nice ring to the product title itself: Sparkle Soda System. This is a starter kit, meaning it's great for beginners or those who don't require extensive features.
The brand itself is renowned for creating a range of high-quality kitchen appliances, including kettles, toasters, coffee machines, irons, slow cookers, soup makers, microwaves, and even vacuums. Now, you are able to transform mere tap water into a refreshing glass of sparkling water, or a tingly, flavoured beverage.
Specifically speaking, the model we've reviewed today is the 134502, with dimensions 31.4 x 27.5 x 10.7 cm.
What We Love:
- Beginner-Friendly Carbonated Drinks: The starter pack for this easy to use soda system contains everything you need to know to turn your simple tap water into delicious, refreshing carbonated beverage choices and carbonated drinks.
- 4 Step Easy To Use: Turn tap water into a refreshing soda bottle with four easy steps- Sparkle, Wait, Shake, and Pour! We love the simplicity it takes to use this machine, making it friendly for users of all levels- whether you've used this machine or not.
- Affordable: The price of this starter kit is highly affordable and suited to beginners, so this is probably the best option for those of you who are looking to try out the use of a new sparkling water waker.
- Variable Flavours: You can add all sorts of natural flavourings to your easy beverage maker to give you an individual, unique drink.
- Environmentally Friendly: With eco-kind, reusable bottle options of various bottle capacity variants (1-litre and 1.3-litre), there are recyclable CO2 chargers too, to give you maximum peace of mind about your purchase.
- Portable: The entire system itself is highly portable due to its compact and modest dimensions, as well as its optimisation for storage. This beverage maker has dimensions of 31.4 x 27.5 x 10.7 cm, which hits the sweet spot between functionality and portability.
Morphy Richards has gained a reputation in front of customers in terms of product reliability and quality (longevity). We love how this product is greatly suited for beginners and is easy to use. Being easy to use is a characteristic appreciated by all customers, which makes this sparkling water maker a great choice for everyone.
This product is also the most affordable, making it a great option if you're trying out SodaStream machines and sparkling water maker machines out- rather than embarking on the SodaStream source journey, just go for this starter kit until you've established whether or not homemade sparkling water and soda is your thing.
Value for Money: 9.5/10
What is the Best Sparkling Water Maker to Buy?
Aside from the fact that buying a sparkling water maker will save you some serious cash in the long run (if you're someone who loves to sip on a deep-green glass bottle of sparkling St. Pellegrino), there are many other great reasons to invest in one. You save packaging, meaning you are doing your bit to help preserve the planet, and you'll cut down on energy consumption.
However, when making a purchase, there are some things you should look out for to distinguish between products and select the best item:
- Size: it shouldn't be too clunky and huge, but it should be large enough to offer a great deal of functionality
- Capacity: does it meet the universal standard of 60 litres, or does it fall short? Better yet, does it surpass the standard? Then you've found yourself a keeper!
- Weight: It shouldn't be too heavy, as it would often need to be shifted around your kitchen a lot
- Carbonation Variation: can you switch up the amount of carbonated water intensity in your carbonated water? If it offers less variation, think about whether or not you like concentrated fizz in your drinks.
- Durability: will it stand the test of time? Read up on user reviews of the product to learn about customer experiences, months on
If you regularly consume sparkling water or carbonated beverages, you may want large (or above standard) capacity. You may also want a hassle-free, smooth experience with your SodaStream or sparkling water maker, so being easy to use may be an integral feature. Most sparkling water maker machines are very easy to use on the market today anyway.
Is SodaStream cheaper than buying sparkling water?
A good way to approach this question would be to establish the cost per litre of SodaStream beverage, versus the cost of buying a litre of soda at the store.
Usually, it store it would cost around £1-1.60 to buy a standard 2-litre bottle of store-brand soda. That means the cost of one litre will be at least 50 pence. Most of the time, sales and promotions are active anyway, so drinks can be picked up even cheaper.
A CO2 cylinder from SodaStream will cost around £40, with varying prices from different online and local retailers. Overall, for about 130 litres of CO2, you'll pay about £25. That is much cheaper than buying store-bought sodas.
There is, however, the preference to buy syrups for taste refinement. These can be picked up for around £5-8 online. Surprisingly, the syrup works out pricier per litre than the actual CO2!
If you choose to use SodaStream for plain sparkling water only, then purchasing a SodaStream will work out significantly cheaper. Adding flavouring will cause the price to shoot up, making it a wiser decision to just buy store-brand soda.
Is SodaStream Carbonated Water Bad for You?
Carbonated water is just plain water that has been infused with carbon-dioxide gas, under pressure. This produces the famous, love-or-hate, controversial drink known as sparkling water.
Many store-bought brands have added salt and minerals to improve the taste, but some drinks such as Seltzer water are pure. Other drinks such as St. Pellegrino sparkling water contain minerals and sulfur compounds. Sparkling water is a great alternative to sugary soft drinks but has a much blander taste that people don't often enjoy.
When buying sparkling water, or making it, avoid those which contain a bitter compound called quinine (which created something called "tonic water"), as well as sugars, additives, and high-fructose corn syrup (the silent killer!).
The burning, tingly sensation felt on your tongue after drinking SodaStream beverages is a "high" that people find very enjoyable, and it isn't harmful- the pressured gas activated the same receptors on your skin as spicy mustard!
Carbonated water also leans on the acidic end of the pH scale, at around 3-4. Health professionals suggest you buy alkaline water, as it is kinder to the stomach, and your body needs to work less hard to throw in the right balancing enzymes to preserve your stomach's bacterial flora.
In general, the acid content of carbonated beverages is nothing to be concerned about, as our lungs and kidneys are naturally capable of expelling excessive CO2 from our bodies, keeping the blood as alkaline as it should be (regardless of what we consume).
What are the Disadvantages of Carbonated Water?
There are many rumoured detriments to one's health when consuming carbonated beverages, but mainly, the two common disadvantages people mentioned were:
- Harmful to Dental Enamel
- Causes Fat Gain
The authenticity of these claims is not yet proven or disproven, so we can't give a verdict, however, it is good to be aware of the common stigma associated.
Dentists and other health professionals claim that the highly acidic nature of carbonated beverages causes tooth enamel to break down and rot away, making your teeth more prone to cavities, infection, and sensitivity- which can lead to gum disease in the long run.
In addition, carbonated drinks have been thought to trigger the "hunger hormone", which causes us to feel hungrier and eat more- so, while the zero-calorie drink itself is not fattening, it can prove to be a deadly trap to ensnare our own minds into thinking we need food!