The Best Thermostatic Shower - Reviews 2020 - 2021
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Thermostatic Shower Is Mira Showers 1.1532.400
- A power shower combines water from both your hot and cold water supplies by using a pump, making them ideal for use in homes and properties with low water pressure
- Thermostatic control maintains a safe temperature whilst showering, even when there is a decline in water pressure
- This thermostatic power shower they deliver a powerful and exhilarating spray, even at low pressure
- Supplied with a 4 mode 110 mm showerhead with rub-clean rubber nozzles for easy cleaning
- Provides up to 14 litres per minute for a saturating shower experience
If you are looking for a shower that can give you a consistent temperature without a nasty cold shock in the morning, then you should be considering buying a high-quality thermostatic shower.
Thermostatic showers are a mixer type model that uses water from your cold and hot water supply to produce a flow of water within a set temperature via its thermostatic valve.
However, thermostatic showers tend to differ in their designs, installation, and power, so it's essential you get the right shower for you.
We have rounded up the top thermostatic showers on the market and reviewed them to give you a helping hand.
Our Top Thermostatic Shower -
Mira Showers 1.1532.400 Thermostatic Power Shower (Editor’s Choice)
This Mira thermostatic shower comes with a pump to improve water pressure and uses hot and cold water with thermostatic control to maintain a set temperature while showering.
Main features of this thermostatic shower are its 4 mode 110mm showerhead which has easy-clean rubber nozzles and delivers up to 14 litres per minute when showering. This thermostatic power shower is suitable for low-pressure water systems that have weak inconsistent pressure.
A one year warranty is included with this Mira model for buyers confidence.
Overall, this thermostatic power shower by Mira is a reliable model to choose if you are looking to have a controlled shower with a low-pressure water supply due to the pump inside of the unit.
The design is also very durable and easy to use.
Negatives of this thermostatic shower have to be its updated design which is reported to be complicated to install and not as good in comparison to the old design.
- Durable design.
- Pump for low-pressure water supply.
- 4 mode showerhead.
- 14 minutes of flow per minute.
- Thermostatic control.
- One-year warranty.
- The new updated model is reported to be hard to install and give less water flow than the older version.
Our Budget Choice! - Rainsworth Thermostatic Shower Mixer
For people on a budget, this Rainsworth thermostatic shower could be a great option to consider.
Main features of this shower are its 9 inch top spray overhead shower which can be rotated 360-degrees and has easy-clean silicone nozzles. There is additionally a three function handheld shower that has an adjustable shower rail for taller people.
In terms of family use the thermostatic shower has a safety lock that maintains a temperature of 38 degrees and an anti-scalding design, this shower also comes with easy installation.
Overall, this thermostatic shower by Rainsworth is an excellent budget model and very adjustable thanks to its 360-degree rotatable shower head and moveable shower rail.
This shower is also very easy to clean thanks to its silicone nozzles and filters located in the heads which filter out harsh minerals and chemicals that build up lime-scale.
Downfalls of the shower are its design which has been reported to leak.
- Handheld shower included.
- Adjustable shower head and rail.
- Easy to clean silicone nozzles.
- 38 degrees thermostat locking temperature.
- Easy installation.
- Design is reported leak.
GROHE 34565001 | Grohtherm 800 Thermostatic Shower Set
This GROHE thermostatic shower has an affordable price and features an integrated thermostat to give consistent temperature levels, along with its even nozzle showerhead.
Significant specs of this shower are it’s scratch resistant finish and water-saving technology. The shower additionally has an easy installation method and an inner water guide to prevent any scalding when touching the shower.
In terms of the warranty, a 5-year guarantee is included with this GROHE model.
To conclude, this GROHE thermostatic is a great shower to choose in terms of quality and durability.
The shower has the ability to deliver high-pressure water flow as well as controlling the temperature of your water to prevent any scalding while showering, allowing you to have peace of mind when the whole family is using the device.
Downfalls of the shower are its hose which is said to be very rigid and not very flexible, the shower is further reported to be noisy when in use.
- High-quality design with scratch-resistant coating.
- Easy installation.
- Even nozzle shower head.
- 5-year guarantee.
- Very rigid hose.
Elbe Thermostatic Mixer Shower
If you are looking for a thermostatic shower that comes with plenty of features such as a hand shower, then it could be worth considering this highly-rated model by Elbe.
This thermostatic mixer shower features a stainless steel shower head with a brass thermostat for controlling your water temperature. It also comes with a 25cm thin overhead shower that has even water flow and a hand shower which has three modes of; rain, massage and mix.
Design-wise the thermostatic model by Elbe is easy to install and has an adjustable shower bar, the hand shower can also be adjusted to your preference and has ABS nozzles to prevent the head from getting blocked.
The Elbe thermostatic mixer shower is one of the best shower models on our list due to its variety of features included such as its hand shower and overhead shower, which have different customisable modes depending on the water style you want.
Downfalls of the model have to be its plastic hand shower which is said to have a low-quality feel, some of the models have also been reported to break after a couple of months usage.
- Comes with a hand shower and overhead shower.
- Different shower modes.
- Adjustable hand shower and shower bar.
- Easy to clean ABS nozzles.
- The Hand shower has a plastic cheap feel.
- Some have reported the shower to break easily.
Homelody 40℃ Thermostatic Shower System Mixer
The Homelody thermostatic shower features a thermostatic valve which has a 40-degree safety button to prevent water from being switched to a higher temperature.
Notable specifications of this shower are its adjustable top spray showerhead and three-mode handheld shower which has functions of; saturating, massage and a combination of both.
Design-wise the main body of the shower is made from brass and it has an anti-limescale showerhead. It also has high-quality chrome plating and a 1.5m metal shell hose which is flexible.
Assembly of this shower is additionally very simple with an instruction manual and accessories included.
The Homelody thermostatic shower is overall the best model to choose if you are looking for a family-friendly thermostat shower due to its 40-degree safety lock and durable brass design which can take heavy-duty long term use and prevent any scalding accidents when used by children.
Negatives of this shower have to be its thermostat which is said to become unregular after long term use, the model's design is further reported to stain easily.
- Safety thermostat button of 40 degrees.
- Adjustable height.
- Three mode handheld shower.
- High-quality chrome plating.
- Easy installation.
- Thermostat becomes unregulated after long term use.
- Stains easily.
Our Final Judgement - Which Thermostat Shower Is The Best?
To conclude, the best thermostat shower on our list has to be the Mira Showers 1.1532.400 Thermostatic Power Shower thanks to its pump which can increase water pressure in even the lowest pressure water supply.
This model additionally is the best on our list due to the large shower head and thermostatic control which helps maintain a set temperature while showering.
As a more affordable runner up we would also suggest the Rainsworth Thermostatic Shower Mixer. This thermostatic shower is very low-priced and comes with high-quality features such as its 38-degree safety locking temperature and handheld shower option making it perfect for families with children.
The only reason we placed this Rainsworth model second is due to its lack of pump which may make it less suitable for low-pressure household.
What To Look For In a Top Thermostatic Shower (Our Buying Guide)
Thermostatic showers come with a variety of features to consider which may be overwhelming if you are searching for your first model.
You might also be wondering about the benefits of having a thermostatic shower and how they match up to other types of showers on the market such as pressure balance valve models and manual models.
We have put together a little buying guide below to answer all your questions and concerns about thermostatic showers.
Best Features To Consider In a Thermostatic Shower
There are many features to watch out for in the best thermostatic shower; from energy-rating to design and temperature control, its a good idea to make sure your thermostat can regulate temperature well with consistent long-term use.
We have listed out the key features to consider in your new thermostatic shower below -
- Thermostatic control - The thermostat for your shower should be easy to control and give consistent temperatures from your hot and cold water supply with little fluctuation. Some models even have the option to adjust pressure and have a temperature safety loc which is great for children.
- Showerhead - Having a larger showerhead gives a much more enjoyable experience, top models also have adjustable modes with their heads so as you can enjoy different levels of water pressure while showering. Easy to clean nozzles are also a great feature to reduce limescale.
- Design - The design of your shower is very important, for example, do you want a shower that comes with a chrome finish and stain-resistant coating? You should also consider what shape you want your overhead shower to be and how adjustable it is in terms of height.
- Extra features - Every thermostatic shower model will most likely come with some extra features such as; digital displays, eco-friendly modes and safety cut off technology. You should also check if your shower comes with a handheld shower option.
- Warranty - Having a warranty with your shower is extremely important in case you get a design with missing parts or a faulty thermostat, the best models should come with a one-year warranty minimum.
- Installation - Your thermostat shower should have an easy installation process that can be done by a plumber, it's a good idea to ensure your shower comes with all the installation accessories needed too and is compatible with previous fittings.
What Are The Benefits Of a Thermostat Shower?
Thermostatic showers in comparison to other shower types on the market are a much safer option for families thanks to their thermostatic valve, there are also a number of benefits you can get from installing a thermostatic shower in your home.
We have listed out some of the key benefits below -
- Easy to use - Thermostat mixer showers are relatively easy to use and require little manual interference once the thermostat is set, meaning you can relax in the shower without having to constantly adjust the temperature.
- Comfortable - Being able to take a shower without unexpected cold shocks or scalding can give you peace of mind, many thermostats also give out the optimum showering temperature which is most comfortable.
- Stylish - Most thermostat valves are hidden inside shower designs making them much more stylish and tidy, there's a huge range of designs to choose from on the market that allows you to update your old shower to a modern one.
- Safe - Thermostat models allow you to set locked temperatures for the shower, meaning they are much safer to use with children and can avoid scalding from the temperature being set too high.
- Can improve pressure - Some of the best thermostat showers come with an integrated pump that can help improve the pressure in your shower, this is great if you have a gravity-fed system or a low-pressure hot water supply.
Pressure Balancing Valve VS Thermostatic Valve
There are two main valves to consider on the market, a pressure balancing valve and a thermostatic valve. Both give an element of temperature control for your shower but differ in their designs and how they work.
We have listed out the advantages and disadvantages of these valves below to help you decide which technology is better for you.
Pressure Balancing Valve
Pressure balancing valves contain a spool which controls the flow of cold and hot water when another fixture in the house is turned on, this prevents a pressure drop while showering and can also help to eliminate temperature fluctuations.
This system changes the ratio of hot water to cold and operates via one handle to adjust temperature and volume, they also tend to be much cheaper when compared to thermostatic models.
However, it must be noted that these models do not prevent against water being turned too hot, this makes them less suitable for children or people with disabilities, they may also struggle to work in a home with lots of pressure fluctuations.
- Wider variety.
- Helps balance pressure.
- Does not prevent scalding.
- Less comfort.
Thermostatic valves tend to come with two handles; one for pressure and one for temperature. They operate by making constant little changes in temperature throughout showering to maintain a consistent set temperature.
These valves allow you to change pressure and flow without effecting the temperature and are much safer to use in the house.
Still, these thermostatic showers do tend to be more expensive.
- Safer to use with families.
- Changing flow does not affect temperature.
- Great comfort.
- More expensive.
Overall, if your family members can adjust a pressure-balancing shower with no issues then it might be best to go for these cheaper showers, however, thermostat models do offer much greater comfort and peace of mind, so it could be worth spending a little bit more if you are looking to have consistent temperatures and better safety.
How does a thermostatic shower work?
A thermostatic shower works by mixing cold water and hot water from your supply to create a set temperature on the thermostat. The thermostatic temperature is then maintained despite any changes in pressure and temperature.
What's the price range of these showers?
This depends on the quality of the model you buy and the features it comes with. For a higher-quality model that includes features such as a safety lock and digital display, you could be looking at a price of around £200. The average range of cost tends to be between £100-£400 and above if it comes with a set.
Do I need a plumber to install my thermostatic shower?
Yes, you should use a plumber to install your thermostatic shower as it will need to be connected to your hot and cold water supply which can be a complicated process depending on the plumbing you have fitted or if there is an old shower to replace.
What's the best thermostat temperature to set for my shower?
The best temperature to set for shower tends to be around 40 degrees - 44 degrees depending on how warm you like your shower, some thermostats can be locked to this standard temperature, making it ideal to use with children.
How often should I change a thermostatic cartridge?
A thermostatic cartridge tends to last around 2 years depending on its usage, some indicators that they need to be changed could be leaking or trouble in maintaining consistent temperatures.
What are the top features to consider in a shower like this?
Top features to consider in a best thermostatic shower are; the thermostatic system, adjustability, design and the shower head. You should additionally ensure your shower comes with some kind of warranty.
Is there a difference between electric showers and thermostatic showers?
Yes, electric showers use an electric heating element located inside the shower to heat a cold water supply, thermostatic showers, on the other hand, find the right temperature by mixing water from your hot and cold water supply to find the perfect temperature.
Why should I get a shower with a thermostat?
A shower with a thermostat tends to be much more comfortable to use than a standard or electric shower as they regulate temperature and avoid any surprising temperature fluctuations.
They are great to use if you have children too as no settings need to be adjusted on the shower once the thermostat has been set.
What is a manual shower valve?
A manual shower valve allows you to adjust the temperature of your shower while showering but still helps maintain a consistent temperature, thermostats on the other hand operate with a pre-set temperature.
How many bars of pressure does a thermostatic shower need?
Ideally, you should have a bar pressure of 1 and above for a thermostatic shower, if your pressure is very low then you should consider buying a thermostatic shower with a pump.
What does TMV stand for?
TMV stands for thermostatic mixing valve, this is a wax element located inside the shower that expands and contracts with different temperatures. The thermostatic mixing valve can stop water flow if the temperature starts to get too hot.
How can I remove limescale from my shower?
You can remove limescale from your shower by mixing a diluted solution of vinegar and water then rubbing it over the nozzles of your showerhead. Some showerheads also come with easy to clean silicone nozzles which can help the cleaning process.
To maintain your shower you should clean it often to prevent limescale from building up and causing issues in the future.
Why is my thermostatic shower getting too hot?
If your thermostat is getting too hot then you need to check your showers cartridges and see if they need replacing. You should also make sure your thermostat is set to the right temperature.
Does a thermostatic shower need electricity to run?
No, a thermostatic does not need electricity to run as it uses water from the hot and cold supply with pressure to operate.
Will I have to set the thermostat every single time I take a shower?
Once your thermostat is set, on most showers it will stay this way, meaning when you take a shower your settings and temperature will remain the same until changed again.
Our #1 Thermostatic Shower For Consistency
The number one thermostatic shower on our list for reliable and consistent temperatures is the Mira Showers 1.1532.400 Thermostatic Power Shower due to its pump design which helps produce a better water flow and high-quality thermostat which gives a consistent and comfortable temperature to shower with.
We also suggested checking out the Rainsworth Thermostatic Shower Mixer thanks to its low-price and safety locking thermostat which prevents the thermostat from being changed while showering.